OU coach gone: official

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

SiggyPoke

Territorial Marshal
Nov 4, 2003
Tulsa
Its not a terrible hire but definitely not the 'splash' they would like us all to believe. Honestly the bigger splash would have been stealing Leach from Miss State. At least he is a proven winner as a HC and would light up the scoreboard.
True, but a strong OC hire would fix that.

ramases2112

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Jun 28, 2008
Inside the Basket of Deplorables
www.reddit.com
There is a reason veneables was not a big HC target for the time he was at Clemson. That is a prime HC resume building position. You gonna tell me he accepted the OU position over all the other jobs that had opened over the years? There is a reason he was never truly looked at as a HC before now.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Aug 16, 2012
How hypocritical of them...

In other words, Sooners gonna Sooner. What's new? THE MOST HYPOCRITICAL fanbase to ever exist. EVAR!
Doubt the administration would pull the trigger, but sooner fans? They would praise everything Briles if he were selected. For them it is not about who you are but whether or not you have an O and a U on your red shirt.

Aug 19, 2006
There is a reason veneables was not a big HC target for the time he was at Clemson. That is a prime HC resume building position. You gonna tell me he accepted the OU position over all the other jobs that had opened over the years? There is a reason he was never truly looked at as a HC before now.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
That was kind of my take as well. Has the Clemson pedigree which is great but his name never came up as a serious candidate for any of the top HC jobs over the past couple of years. Doesn't seem to have the same career trajectory as Dave Aranda for example.

They certainly could have done worse. Will be interesting to see how the rest of their staff comes together now.

Poke4Christ

Federal Marshal
Aug 2, 2005
Edmond, OK
Well this escalated quickly. I guess OU had already gone through my thought process from this morning. HAHA!!!

Another thought. OU pretty much MUST make a hire fast. They can't let Bob handle this through to the post-season. Early signing day is Dec 15th. They need to make the biggest hire they can THIS WEEK (or even today) and let him go to work trying to save the recruits and players from leaving. Only two guys that come to mind that MIGHT make that happen are Matt Campbell and Brent Venables.