Portal News

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Aug 19, 2006
If Rangel turns out be to as good as we think he is, Illingworth would still have to compete with him for the starting job in 2023. There just wasn't a clear path to be the starter for him here. And the system fit seemed to be a little off. He needs to find a team running a pro-style offense that doesn't require a mobile QB.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
My mistake. Forgot about Walsh and the forgettable Brown.

No idea what the nonsensical comment about moving the goalpost means. I was never talking about anything but 2022.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lmao right!!!!! Then you should’ve never commented on my post from the jump. Quit while you’re ahead man..it’s embarrassing…nice subtle jab on brown…all he did was make team captain at the end of the season
You’re gonna bash me for saying Brown was forgettable when you earlier said we’re screwed if we have to use Gundy?

Who shoved a burr up your butt today?

PokeJ

Territorial Marshal
Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
I bet Shane goes to Arkansas and starts immediately there. We could end up seeing him..
I am living in Fayetteville and pay attention to the Hogs just for the sake of conversation. I can promise you Shane would not start over KJ Jefferson. He is the real deal.
Arkansas like Gundy appears to prefer a mobile QB. Doubt if Shane would walk n as a starter at any Top 25 type programs

UNLV QB Justin Rogers formerly of TCU has also entered the portal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
If (and it’s a huge IF) Sanders doesn’t get hurt this season, there’s a nice silver lining here. The goal is for us to carry 3 QBs, but if we role with the SS, GG, and Rangel as our QBs, we only have to use 2 scholarships invested into QB since GG doesn’t used a scholarship. That could be a scholarship we use somewhere else.

Nov 6, 2010
Like Drew Brown or Bullock ?
hasn’t worked out for us yet
I think that's the luxury that junior Gundy provides us. We shouldn't have to go look for a guy and use a scholarship for what would essentially be an emergency QB. I know there are concerns about his physical tools, but you know he knows the offense front to back, and could execute it at a high level in a pinch. There are tons of examples of guys that didn't quite have the measurables you'd prefer but were really good college QB's, and I don't see why Gundy wouldn't fit that mold. Rangel will be here in the spring I believe, and I know we're super high on him, so I think we'll be fine.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I do NOT like the Transfer portal...I'm pretty surprised Shane is in it. I hope Rangel is good, but we had a young man who has started a few games for us and looked pretty good at times...literally saved the TU game in his freshmen year. I'll have to study up on Rangel. Weird thing this portal. don't like it one bit, but I understand as SS is going to be the starter especially after his last game this past year and his pro potential. I really did think SI was the real deal and a pro style QB the likes of Weeden, but seeing this year we can win with defense and mobility at Qb, and how tough SS played in many many games this year...I'm not AS worried. Just need a very very good Back up. Hope either GG or R is it? Btw, Fresno's QB also entered the portal today.

God speed to Shane, he's been a trooper for us.

Last edited:

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Arkansas like Gundy appears to prefer a mobile QB. Doubt if Shane would walk n as a starter at any Top 25 type programs

UNLV QB Justin Rogers formerly of TCU has also entered the portal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I bet Shane ends up back out West...I think he's a good fit at Fresno State or one of the other schools in California. He's from Riverside, could see him nearly anywhere in rural Cali. Will be interesting to see where he ends up and I wish him mega luck. Loved that kids moxie.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Here's why I hate the portal...It degrades the value of football across the board on the College level. It pits haves against have nots, it makes coaching more difficult to not have same teams together for long enough to get the best out of them. The teams that will survive the portal will be the programs that figure out stability in some form or fashion...just like having a covid year over and over and over again. This is ALSO why I think we will thrive in this new world now. I think we have the stability to sustain in this time and that we will recruit a core of guys who are willing to stick around when the going gets rough. At least this is my hope. High retention of players from year to year is going to be a huge key.