REALLY DULL OFF-SEASON BANTER BEGINS NOW!! I'll GO FIRST.....

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jan 21, 2006
Boulder
Having lived in Colorado for so long with CU basically being the only team outside of the Broncos you heard much about, CU had at one point a female president who didn't give a damn about CU Buffalo football and they suffered for it.
She's been gone for a while now, but CU has yet to recover fully. Sure, they had a decent season or two, but looking at their players, especially when we played them, it was so obvious that we had bigger, faster and more talented players than the Buffies. We crushed them.

CU has the money, facilities and the natural beauty of the campus to attract any number of quality kids, but this is what happens when you lose sight of the 800 lb gorilla that, like it or not, must be fed or your school had better be MIT. And no one likes to talk about MIT on Sportscenter.
You could walk on the Pearl Street Mall on homecoming day and 8 out of 10 people wouldn't know that there was a game today. This place is the antithesis of Stillwater in all ways. Yes, Betsy Hoffman let things go totally to hell, but I watched CU start making big mistakes in the 70's, with kicking Eddie Crowder upstairs. He was a very good coach, but lousy AD. They have been lost in the desert for more than 40 yrs now. McCarney had a decent run (.628), but they never had the dominance the other great teams had. You summed it well, CU has had a decent season or two.

PontiacPoke717

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Nov 24, 2014
Lavon, TX
Nebraska hasn't been able to compete with Wisconsin in whatever they're calling that division now in the B1G.

That is called "The Old White Entitlement Division".

CU's the school that's really wasted tons of opportunity in their conference.
CU cares more about it's commitment to liberal arts than it does to a strong football program. They're weak and we exposed them the last time we played them. The fans want a team, but the university regents would rather have reruns of "Mork & Mindy" playing on the Jumbotron.

Both former Big 12 schools placate themselves with thoughts of their schools being more cerebral than they were in the Big 12, but the fact is their fans are salivating for some of the glory days of football success.
That quote is great... I could hear Gundy or Leach saying it

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
You could walk on the Pearl Street Mall on homecoming day and 8 out of 10 people wouldn't know that there was a game today. This place is the antithesis of Stillwater in all ways. Yes, Betsy Hoffman let things go totally to hell, but I watched CU start making big mistakes in the 70's, with kicking Eddie Crowder upstairs. He was a very good coach, but lousy AD. They have been lost in the desert for more than 40 yrs now. McCarney had a decent run (.628), but they never had the dominance the other great teams had. You summed it well, CU has had a decent season or two.
They won a national title so...

Celldweller7

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Jul 17, 2004
A very specific place
Nebraska hasn't been able to compete with Wisconsin in whatever they're calling that division now in the B1G.

That is called "The Old White Entitlement Division".

CU's the school that's really wasted tons of opportunity in their conference.
CU cares more about it's commitment to liberal arts than it does to a strong football program. They're weak and we exposed them the last time we played them. The fans want a team, but the university regents would rather have reruns of "Mork & Mindy" playing on the Jumbotron.

Both former Big 12 schools placate themselves with thoughts of their schools being more cerebral than they were in the Big 12, but the fact is their fans are salivating for some of the glory days of football success.
Do a deep dive on where the best recruits are and you see why the power has taken a huge shift to the southeast. The American West is never going support a full conference of great-to-good football teams in this era (in the limited TV, unlimited scholarship era some wealthy schools were able to use advantages they can't use today). The population spread and commitment to football at the HS level as a region is not there.

Clearly, CU can do better competing against the Utah's and Arizona's than it has, but the P10 needed the B12 merger more than we did.

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
What? You wanted me to say maybe like S. Carolina, or Arkansas?

CBS Sports asked one-fifth of the 130 active FBS coaches to share their thoughts on cheating in the sport, and one anonymous coach admitted he thinks the SEC cheats more than any other conference in college football:

“Out of the 130 FBS schools in FBS, I would say, in the SEC, 80 percent [knowingly cheat],” the coach said. “Everywhere else, about 20 percent.”​
That coach didn’t speak for most of his colleagues, though, as 57 percent of the coaches surveyed think fewer than 10 percent of teams actually cheat.

Only four percent of the coaches surveyed said they believe more than 30 percent of teams break the rules.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
What? You wanted me to say maybe like S. Carolina, or Arkansas?

CBS Sports asked one-fifth of the 130 active FBS coaches to share their thoughts on cheating in the sport, and one anonymous coach admitted he thinks the SEC cheats more than any other conference in college football:

“Out of the 130 FBS schools in FBS, I would say, in the SEC, 80 percent [knowingly cheat],” the coach said. “Everywhere else, about 20 percent.”​
That coach didn’t speak for most of his colleagues, though, as 57 percent of the coaches surveyed think fewer than 10 percent of teams actually cheat.

Only four percent of the coaches surveyed said they believe more than 30 percent of teams break the rules.
Without cheating as much the Big 12 has managed to win 42.5% against the SEC since 2010. They have an edge, but not that much. Considering we are #2 in the Big 12 for that time period it doesn't make sense that that would equate us to fighting to stay out of last place in a conference that has won less that 6 times out of 10 in head to head match ups.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
Without cheating as much the Big 12 has managed to win 42.5% against the SEC since 2010. They have an edge, but not that much. Considering we are #2 in the Big 12 for that time period it doesn't make sense that that would equate us to fighting to stay out of last place in a conference that has won less that 6 times out of 10 in head to head match ups.
You're wasting effort with that one.

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
that's some pretty fuzzy math... OSU finished first or second 3 times since 2010.... which IMHO does not make us #2 in the Big12. But you're welcome to count success as you see fit.... averaging averages is not good math.

13 of the B12/SEC games since 2010 involved OU or Texas, FWIW (big money, big cheaters), 4 more of those games involved Colorado or A$M as the Big12 representative.

22 of the games were bowl games, 20 were regular season.

but MOSTLY, you seem to looking at history and trying to project that onto the future.... I was assuming that with OSU in the SEC, then we would lose much of our Texas recruiting advantage and be relegated to being just another Arkansas or Missouri.... a team out in limbo-land struggling to convince kids to play in Stillwater, WITHOUT being able to offer them several trips near home per year for their Texas folks and friends to see them.

Your analysis seems to assume that all other things would remain the same, and I just don't think that would be the case. Our current conference alignment and Texas schedule is huge to our recruiting.

Jostate

A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
that's some pretty fuzzy math... OSU finished first or second 3 times since 2010.... which IMHO does not make us #2 in the Big12. But you're welcome to count success as you see fit.... averaging averages is not good math.

but MOSTLY, you seem to looking at history and trying to project that onto the future.... .
I went off W/L record of each team in the Big 12 to determine rank, both in conference or overall records. I haven't updated since last year, but we were far enough ahead of #3 I'm pretty confident we would still be #2. I'll do the math again later when I have time. Feel free to use your clear math and tell me who was #2.

I'm looking at history, not future, because we know history, the future is a guess.

Jostate

A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
TIL that regularly finishing top 3 in the conference with 9+ wins is mediocre.

Some of y'all need a reality check. There are maybe 10 programs in the country that wouldn't trade the last decade with Oklahoma State.
I'm often frustrated that knuckle dragging OU fans don't understand that we have been really pretty good for the last 15 years. Then I remember our own fans don't seem to know how well we have done so how would other fans?

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
I went off W/L record of each team in the Big 12 to determine rank, both in conference or overall records. I haven't updated since last year, but we were far enough ahead of #3 I'm pretty confident we would still be #2. I'll do the math again later when I have time. Feel free to use your clear math and tell me who was #2.

I'm looking at history, not future, because we know history, the future is a guess.
I realize that you're looking at W/L record, which didn't show reality of how we actually finished each season. Having the 2nd best w/l record in the B12 wasn't even good enough for us to finish first or second in most seasons... so I don't think that "'fact" would translate to SEC competition as well as you may be projecting.

maybe I misunderstood the question.... how would we do in the SEC (as opposed to how would we have done).... asking, would the SEC be good for OSU...

perhaps I'm reading too much into it, but clearly it would be "a guess" either way (forwards or backwards), since we can't change history and project ourselves into past SEC standings either.

Philranger

Territorial Marshal
Oct 6, 2010
Owasso
I realize that you're looking at W/L record, which didn't show reality of how we actually finished each season. Having the 2nd best w/l record in the B12 wasn't even good enough for us to finish first or second in most seasons... so I don't think that "'fact" would translate to SEC competition as well as you may be projecting.

maybe I misunderstood the question.... how would we do in the SEC (as opposed to how would we have done).... asking, would the SEC be good for OSU...

perhaps I'm reading too much into it, but clearly it would be "a guess" either way (forwards or backwards), since we can't change history and project ourselves into past SEC standings either.
In your mind it's better to go say

2nd
10th
1st
10th
9th
2nd

Than

3rd
3rd
4th
5th
2nd

The first example did finish 2nd more often!

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
I'm often frustrated that knuckle dragging OU fans don't understand that we have been really pretty good for the last 15 years. Then I remember our own fans don't seem to know how well we have done so how would other fans?
As I've said... I think the nut kick of getting beat by OU every year and then being told that wrestling and golf don't matter really makes our fans psychologically disadvantaged. So all that matters to a very solid portion of our fan base is that we beat OU.

I'm fully convinced that people would be thrilled if we were 6-6 every season if one of the 6 wins was always OU.

Jul 9, 2011
Yankees Tavern, Carlos Texas

13 of the B12/SEC games since 2010 involved OU or Texas, FWIW (big money, big cheaters), 4 more of those games involved Colorado or A$M as the Big12 representative.

22 of the games were bowl games, 20 were regular season.

but MOSTLY, you seem to looking at history and trying to project that onto the future.... I was assuming that with OSU in the SEC, then we would lose much of our Texas recruiting advantage and be relegated to being just another Arkansas or Missouri.... a team out in limbo-land struggling to convince kids to play in Stillwater, WITHOUT being able to offer them several trips near home per year for their Texas folks and friends to see them.

Your analysis seems to assume that all other things would remain the same, and I just don't think that would be the case. Our current conference alignment and Texas schedule is huge to our recruiting.
It's all speculation, even what I'm about to say:

We might lose some Texas recruits, but might gain some that are in N Texas and want to play in the SEC. It would help us in Louisiana and Georgia and other Southeast states where we have made some inroads already. Also might keep a few more of the best Oklahoma kids in state. And we would be the westernmost SEC school not named Texas A&M so that would help in states to the west. I would speculate recruiting would be different, but not necessarily worse.

We have an example in A&M. For all the hoopla their football results are much as they were in the Big 12.

Jostate

A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
If we aren't #2 for the last decade, who is?

Last edited:

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
In your mind it's better to go say

2nd
10th
1st
10th
9th
2nd

Than

3rd
3rd
4th
5th
2nd

The first example did finish 2nd more often!
You have no freaking idea what is in my mind so stop pretending that you do.... and if you could count from 2010-2018 is EIGHT seasons, yet you only listed 6 in the first and 5 in the second set.... never EIGHT which is what was actually in my mind and was what was presented in this thread....

if someone cannot even count to EIGHT, then I might think that they have sheet for brains, in which case I know what they would have on their mind.

Philranger

Territorial Marshal
Oct 6, 2010
Owasso
You have no freaking idea what is in my mind so stop pretending that you do.... and if you could count from 2010-2018 is EIGHT seasons, yet you only listed 6 in the first and 5 in the second set.... never EIGHT which is what was actually in my mind and was what was presented in this thread....

if someone cannot even count to EIGHT, then I might think that they have sheet for brains, in which case I know what they would have on their mind.
Ok it was a hypothetical anyway but clearly that is too much for you. Here is SEVEN years because that is how long the current Big 12 has existed.

Capture.PNG

Obviously OU is not included in this list because they have without a doubt been the best team in the conference. But everyone else is here and the non-bolded numbers are their position in the final conference standings by year. The bolded is the sum of their final position (this is their average finish minus the averaging, but I will explain to you that since the averaging period is the same these sums may be used in lieu of the actual average value for ordering purposes). The lower the number the higher their average finish.

Team B isn't leaps and bounds ahead of teams A and E but they've clearly had the better average final position.