REALLY DULL OFF-SEASON BANTER BEGINS NOW!! I'll GO FIRST.....

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jul 9, 2011
Yankees Tavern, Carlos Texas
Ok it was a hypothetical anyway but clearly that is too much for you. Here is SEVEN years because that is how long the current Big 12 has existed.

View attachment 71015

Obviously OU is not included in this list because they have without a doubt been the best team in the conference. But everyone else is here and the non-bolded numbers are their position in the final conference standings by year. The bolded is the sum of their final position (this is their average finish minus the averaging, but I will explain to you that since the averaging period is the same these sums may be used in lieu of the actual average value for ordering purposes). The lower the number the higher their average finish.

Team B isn't leaps and bounds ahead of teams A and E but they've clearly had the better average final position.
Team B looks v e r y familiar. As I said earlier, this year's finish brought 'em back to the pack a little, but going in to this year we (oops!) Team B clearly had the second best average record in the Big 12. And as CTeampoke said earlier, if you look at Team B's overall record the past there are few teams in D1 that would not trade records with us.

Too many folks can't get past the OU record. OU has been really good. We had chances (and should be) closer to .500 with them the past few years. But we still have had a really good program as well.

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
Sep 30, 2004
On Tour with the Gap Band
strikeupthegapband.com
So, I'm assuming that this thread can be about more than just football, so I'll pose a question.

What are everyone's expectations for next year's basketball team? For me, it's get back to the NCAA Tournament and go from there. Boynton still has me intrigued, but he hasn't won anything yet, honestly. I will admit, if we don't find a way to make it back to the Big Dance this upcoming season, I'll be a bit concerned.

keystonecowboy

Loyalist & Truest
A/V Subscriber
Oct 2, 2018
Stillwater
So, I'm assuming that this thread can be about more than just football, so I'll pose a question.

What are everyone's expectations for next year's basketball team? For me, it's get back to the NCAA Tournament and go from there. Boynton still has me intrigued, but he hasn't won anything yet, honestly. I will admit, if we don't find a way to make it back to the Big Dance this upcoming season, I'll be a bit concerned.
I share your sentiment of intrigue with Boynton. The circumstances have been far from ideal and he seems to have still put the Cowboys in a place to win most games. He also brought in a stellar recruiting class despite an all around bad year for basketball. I see this team needing to make a late season run to lock up a spot in the Dance, but believe it is necessary that they do so in order to keep the program heading in the right direction. This year will tell us all a lot about what's coming for OSU Basketball. Go Pokes!

Jun 4, 2007
Broken Arrow, Ok
Ok it was a hypothetical anyway but clearly that is too much for you. Here is SEVEN years because that is how long the current Big 12 has existed.

View attachment 71015

Obviously OU is not included in this list because they have without a doubt been the best team in the conference. But everyone else is here and the non-bolded numbers are their position in the final conference standings by year. The bolded is the sum of their final position (this is their average finish minus the averaging, but I will explain to you that since the averaging period is the same these sums may be used in lieu of the actual average value for ordering purposes). The lower the number the higher their average finish.

Team B isn't leaps and bounds ahead of teams A and E but they've clearly had the better average final position.
Does Team F win the "Consistency" award?

They also officially reject this data since it's presented without the corresponding basketball analysis.

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal

View attachment 71015

oh great, yet another moronic post. I was responding to his post that had 10 seasons... if you start changing the numbers, then I'm going to change my response... DUH.

what in the heck is the matter with you people that you can't understand written language?

maybe it's simple logic that you get lost with.... If you change the scenario, then that changes everything.

I'm not going to respond to each of you that wants to change the original post just so that my response no longer fits.

freaking clown city around here lately.

Let me say this again.... I think OSU in the SEC would badly affect our Texas recruiting by reducing the number of games we play there annually, and consequently, with bad recruiting we'd be somewhere toward to bottom of the conference... look no further than Arkansas... hell, look at A$M with all their money and in the heart of recruiting hot bed, still can't be consistently near the top.

It's not really worth discussing further.... if someone else thinks we might still get our top 3-star recruits, then so be it.

it a freaking opinion, not a pissing match.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
View attachment 70974

I'm working right now in the sports medicine facility they just opened in 2015. (bottom corner of Folsom Field in the pic)

They've raised some serious cash to build the Champions Center, which is alot like our WEZ project, & a new indoor faciility (you can see it's roof in the bottom left of this picture).

They thought they'd arrived a couple of years ago when we played them in the Alamo & now it's on to yet another head coach.
Having lived in Colorado for so long with CU basically being the only team outside of the Broncos you heard much about, CU had at one point a female president who didn't give a damn about CU Buffalo football and they suffered for it.
She's been gone for a while now, but CU has yet to recover fully. Sure, they had a decent season or two, but looking at their players, especially when we played them, it was so obvious that we had bigger, faster and more talented players than the Buffies. We crushed them.

CU has the money, facilities and the natural beauty of the campus to attract any number of quality kids, but this is what happens when you lose sight of the 800 lb gorilla that, like it or not, must be fed or your school had better be MIT. And no one likes to talk about MIT on Sportscenter.
I live in Colorado as well. I’ve yet to identify 3 people that care about college football.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma

Well, he did beat Kansas twice in his inaugural season.

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal

Boynton has won more than many past OSU coaches - he's won the hearts and imagination of the fans, which is often a near impossible or a fleeting accomplishment.

He's got you dreaming of the future possibilities for example.

as the faithful always say, Eddie use to take a good team and make them a great team by conference play... the real problem that I think Boynton has faced is that he has yet to start a season with a "good team". He's taken some mismatched and patchwork teams and made them good. IMHO.

maybe this is the year that he can start the season with a good team, and work them toward greatness.

Sep 9, 2013
I'm glad we didn't go the the PAC 12 if we had with ou we would have to move the conference championship to Jerry's World because both teams playing would have been east of the Rockies. Arkansas left the SWC to go to the SEC and really they've done nothing since, the same as aTm and Mizzou. The same as Nebraska in the Big10 and Colorado in the PAC12. While West Virginia has benefited financially they haven't really up'd the level of competition in the Big12. As far as OSU's level in the SEC I would expect better recruiting and at around the same level as Florida or maybe Auburn.
In all fairness, WVU hasnt had a good to great coach while in the big 12. DH was an average coach at best and he was a bad recruiter. Look at what RROD did to OU and you guys(after he went to arz).

I think WVU would have done much better if it had a better coach than DH who was near last in big 12 behind everyone. Patterson, gundy, briles, campbell, riley/stoops, purple wizard, and maybe a push with strong/herman.

I do think Neil Brown is a 'good" coach along the same vein as RROD early in his career. The guy is an elite recruiter and beat LSU and Nebraska on the road while at troy, and was driving with ball against clemson with a chance to win @ Clemson the year they won a national title. He got troy ranked in ap top 25 for 1st time ever.

2019 isnt enough time, but i think we'll see how wvu fairs in big 12 when it has as good a coach as the teams it goes up against.

OstatePokes

Territorial Marshal
Aug 24, 2007
Knoxville, Tennessee
In all fairness, WVU hasnt had a good to great coach while in the big 12. DH was an average coach at best and he was a bad recruiter. Look at what RROD did to OU and you guys(after he went to arz).

I think WVU would have done much better if it had a better coach than DH who was near last in big 12 behind everyone. Patterson, gundy, briles, campbell, riley/stoops, purple wizard, and maybe a push with strong/herman.

I do think Neil Brown is a 'good" coach along the same vein as RROD early in his career. The guy is an elite recruiter and beat LSU and Nebraska on the road while at troy, and was driving with ball against clemson with a chance to win @ Clemson the year they won a national title. He got troy ranked in ap top 25 for 1st time ever.

2019 isnt enough time, but i think we'll see how wvu fairs in big 12 when it has as good a coach as the teams it goes up against.
We took a true Fr QB and went up early on his team before stumbling on the road. We would have boat raced him and Arizona even if he coached the 2 years prior. He caught us at a good time.

Last edited:

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
If you don’t make the NCAA Tournament, it really doesn’t matter. We ended up playing that year for 69th place, doesn’t get me that excited.
like I said, he's never started a season with a team like this (5 returning starters, a decent inside man, and a slew of first year studs eager to take the court

we have an inside man, a solidly developing PG, a 3pt threat, a good swing man and a solid post player, and the best recruiting class ever to sub for them.... of course he's got to "prove it", but my gawd man.

my only concern is the revolving door we've had since his arrival, and an uncertainty of how much of it is his fault. I like that he sets high standards, hopefully this time he's brought in kids of good character.

Sep 9, 2013
We took a true Fr QB and went up early on his team before stumbling on the road. We would have boat raced him and Arizona even if he coached the 2 years prior. He caught us at a good time.
RROD was a good coach-at one time. He throttled OU(his team did), beat SEC champion UGA in Sugar Bowl, and won a BE title when miami was still top tier and VT was very good.

Im not saying RROD is better or worse than Gundy, im saying he's a lot beter than DH.

OstatePokes

Territorial Marshal
Aug 24, 2007
Knoxville, Tennessee
RROD was a good coach-at one time. He throttled OU(his team did), beat SEC champion UGA in Sugar Bowl, and won a BE title when miami was still top tier and VT was very good.

Im not saying RROD is better or worse than Gundy, im saying he's a lot beter than DH.
And I’m not disagreeing that he is a good coach. But I wouldn’t give him too much credit for that win in Tucson.

Sep 9, 2013
And I’m not disagreeing that he is a good coach. But I wouldn’t give him too much credit for that win in Tucson.
Wasnt a fluke. arz won pac 12 south, and beat oregon's chip kelly long the way.

My point is this, i think WVU will be judged on how it fits in big 12 hierarchy based on 2020-2025, the neil brown era.

The guy will have much better talent on the field and he's a night and day better gameday coach than DH.
WVU will never have the talent of texas or OU, but i think WVU can win a big 12 title once every 5 years with brown. DH admitted one reason he left was bc he knew he could never beat OU.

OstatePokes

Territorial Marshal
Aug 24, 2007
Knoxville, Tennessee
Wasnt a fluke. arz won pac 12 south, and beat oregon's chip kelly long the way.

My point is this, i think WVU will be judged on how it fits in big 12 hierarchy based on 2020-2025, the neil brown era.

The guy will have much better talent on the field and he's a night and day better gameday coach than DH.
WVU will never have the talent of texas or OU, but i think WVU can win a big 12 title once every 5 years with brown. DH admitted one reason he left was bc he knew he could never beat OU.
Again, I never said it was a fluke. But they caught us a breaking in a true Fr QB on the road. Dominated them for 1 quarter and then they came back. My point is, we whipped them 2 years in a row before that game, we had a large change in personnel and they beat us fair and square. But Rich Rod wasn’t the reason they won. I’m not saying anything about WVU, but let’s not act like anybody in Stillwater was afraid of him and Arizona.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
I'm already ramping up my football season excitement, so I occasionally watch one of our old games on youtube. I have watched last year's UT game and bowl game. In that last month I watched 2011 and 2001 Bedlam.

Aside from any "get a life" type comments, what game is still on youtube that you guys would recommend I watch next?

Last edited:

#1 Pokes Fan

Territorial Marshal
Mar 27, 2012
Wishing I was in Stillwater
I'm already ramping up my football season excitement, so I occasionally watch one of our old games on youtube. I have watched last year's UT game and bowl game. In that last month I watched 2011 and 2001 Bedlam.

Aside from any "get a life" type comments, what game is still on youtube that you guys would recommend I watch next?
Not football, but I watched the Monasmith / Santana wrestling match from 1978 on Friday. It was pretty damn cool that John Smith was the "towel boy" hitting the referee when the periods ended because it was too loud.

OstatePokes

Territorial Marshal
Aug 24, 2007
Knoxville, Tennessee
I'm already ramping up my football season excitement, so I occasionally watch one of our old games on youtube. I have watched last year's UT game and bowl game. In that last month I watched 2011 and 2001 Bedlam. I watched the highlights of last year's bowl game against Mizzou.

Search Big Dave on YouTube, he has a lot of great games.