RIP RBG

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
The smart plan is to find out that he's NOT going to be able to get someone confirmed because some of the R's are not going to vote for it out of the principle I've been talking about. If POTUS finds that out in advance he shouldn't push to confirm...Nominate if he wants but tell the senate to hold off on confirmation UNTIL the election is won. I don't think the Senate will confirm if he pushes...so don't push and play it up as you being fair and moderate. Run to the center a little and get elected, then put in your justice, win the house back. Call for unity and show you are willing to leave some political bait on the table because you are confident you are going to win and the right choice can be made later.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Hint: If a major anti-Trumper likes your post here, then take it as a strong clue that it is NOT a winning strategy for the election.
He likely thinks they are going to win the Presidency. I happen to disagree IF we make the right play here...this is dangerous right now and we need to think of our divided country and make the right political play to win.. It's not going to be an easy decision.

ramases2112

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Jun 28, 2008
Inside the Basket of Deplorables
www.reddit.com
The smart plan is to find out that he's NOT going to be able to get someone confirmed because some of the R's are not going to vote for it out of the principle I've been talking about. If POTUS finds that out in advance he shouldn't push to confirm...Nominate if he wants but tell the senate to hold off on confirmation UNTIL the election is won. I don't think the Senate will confirm if he pushes...so don't push and play it up as you being fair and moderate. Run to the center a little and get elected, then put in your justice, win the house back. Call for unity and show you are willing to leave some political bait on the table because you are confident you are going to win and the right choice can be made later.
If you push for the justice you will get the left to react the way you want them to. They will riot and destroy. They will threaten violence on senators. It will be exactly what Republicans want.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

ramases2112

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Jun 28, 2008
www.reddit.com
Hint: If a major anti-Trumper likes your post here, then take it as a strong clue that it is NOT a winning strategy for the election.
He likely thinks they are going to win the Presidency. I happen to disagree IF we make the right play here...this is dangerous right now and we need to think of our divided country and make the right political play to win.. It's not going to be an easy decision.
The division can not be repaired. Its time for people to move on from that. Both sides view the other as existential threats.

ramases2112

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Jun 28, 2008
www.reddit.com
I will say that your take on it has merit. I just don't think the division can be repaired and think any olive branch given is one without a reciprocating other side. The dems are hell bent on total control.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
IMO, This Supreme Court seat is more important than Trump winning a second term. A 6-3 majority on the SCOTUS could strongly affect our country for decades to come. I'll be fine with Biden winning as long as the seat gets filled prior to the election, especially if Republicans hold the Senate.
Well that's exactly what will likely happen if he pushes it through...IF he doesn't we have the opportunity at four more years AND maybe more than one appointment. It's a play for sure, but I'm not comfortable with losing BOTH the senate AND the Presidency for this. I agree with Scott Rasmussen on this he's saying to wait...he's right.

Bottom line, DON"T nominate until after you win and you will win...if you push, IMHO you lose both the Presidency and the Senate...seriously I think it's that big of a mistake to focus ONLY on the Court.
You are strange.... I guarantee that no one extra is going to vote for Trump just because he didn't nominate another justice. They will just laugh all the way to inauguration day when Harris is sworn in.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I will say that your take on it has merit. I just don't think the division can be repaired and think any olive branch given is one without a reciprocating other side. The dems are hell bent on total control.

I think if we do this we will be giving it to them...God knows what they will attempt to do to "rebalance" the court IF we lose the Senate. We NEED to be careful, crazy stupid freaking Politics is ruining 2020...This is a CRAZY time.

ramases2112

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Jun 28, 2008
www.reddit.com

I think if we do this we will be giving it to them...God knows what they will attempt to do to "rebalance" the court IF we lose the Senate. We NEED to be careful, crazy stupid freaking Politics is ruining 2020...This is a CRAZY time.
They will do it regardless though if they should win (they wont). They have already said they will remove the filibuster and push through everything they can dream of.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
You are strange.... I guarantee that no one extra is going to vote for Trump just because he didn't nominate another justice. They will just laugh all the way to inauguration day when Harris is sworn in.

I actually do think a lot of folks like me want him to wait...because we think it's the best way to win moderates. Some in his own party in the Senate will not vote to confirm a new SCOTUS Justice prior to the election...he needs to be damn sure it's going through before he attempts it....because if it's held up anyway, he needs to wait. The D's will try to abolish the filibuster and expand the court to 15 justices when they get control if we don't wait...Just my opinion on the right political play for the long haul.

Sep 6, 2012
Edmond
They will do it regardless though if they should win (they wont). They have already said they will remove the filibuster and push through everything they can dream of.

including adding more justices. 4 more at that, this was at the first of the year.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Another good thing for Republicans is when Trump nominates Barrett, the left will attack her relentlessly. They will attack her faith ruthlessly. It will only help shore up the evangelical vote.

And it may open up the eyes of some more liberals since she is a female.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Another good thing for Republicans is when Trump nominates Barrett, the left will attack her relentlessly. They will attack her faith ruthlessly. It will only help shore up the evangelical vote.

They/we are already SHORED up. We aren't voting for an aboriton promoter. He will expand his base, I think, if he shows restraint and wisdom in this political play.

Nov 18, 2011
I’m not willing to gamble a 20-30 year Supreme Court Justice on a 50/50 election. Republicans for too long have been the party always wanting to be viewed as fair and concerned with optics, all the while getting steamrolled by libs and their agenda. Dems and the media have spent 4 years pushing propaganda and fake news, obstructing Kavanaugh, coup and impeachment attempts. Not sure what gives you the idea that playing “fair” on this would result in unification or less resistance if Trump is re-elected. We need to take this court out of Roberts hands while the opportunity is there.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011

I actually do think a lot of folks like me want him to wait...because we think it's the best way to win moderates. Some in his own party in the Senate will not vote to confirm a new SCOTUS Justice prior to the election...he needs to be damn sure it's going through before he attempts it....because if it's held up anyway, he needs to wait. The D's will try to abolish the filibuster and expand the court to 15 justices when they get control if we don't wait...Just my opinion on the right political play for the long haul.
You actually think there is anyone fence sitting right now that is actually planning to vote? I say that to nominate, and get voted in, another justice at this point could draw out those conservatives that were planning to sit this thing out again. The thought of another constitutional judge is a biggie and it opens it up for another in the next term as we know there is that possibility. But also, there chance to turn the 9th circuit constitutional/conservative is on the horizon. Pushing through the nomination now just some a little on the fact that he's continuing his promise and will in the next term as well.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
You actually think there is anyone fence sitting right now that is actually planning to vote? I say that to nominate, and get voted in, another justice at this point could draw out those conservatives that were planning to sit this thing out again. The thought of another conditional judge is a biggie and it opens it up for another in the next term as we know there is that possibility. But also, there chance to turn the 9th circuit constitutional/conservative is on the horizon. Pushing through the nomination now just some a little on the fact that he's continuing his promise and will in the next term as well.

Yes I think people are fence sitting in Maine and Vermont and New Hampshire and Pennsylvania and places like that...maybe in Arizona as well. I also think that it will draw more conservatives out to know that their pick makes a difference in the court. Honestly I know it's a risk, but so is too push. Surely you can see that it is a risk either way? I thought most R's on here thought the POTUS was going to be relected...to me the reaction I'm getting makes me think I was wrong maybe. IF you think he's going to be reelected, why not wait, IMHO it's going to help us keep the Senate the Presidency and you still get the pick.

I don't think we can get the nomination through considering the political pressure that's going to come to bear from the media and rioters...I'd push for a peaceful process and some agreement on this one thing...we are so divided, why not just say hey...winner take all...we are going to win and we will do it then plus maybe you get another appointment at some point in the next four years.

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN
Actually he's right. Do you want one Supreme Court Justice you are now far more likely to get regardless, or do you want to lose two or three?

Think about it. Pushing this through will possibly result in a 2008 level bloodbath that coincides with a census year. Holding off will make the right look rational in a year where neither side looks rational. Plus suddenly now for on the fence Republicans the election is less a referendum on him and now a battle over a commanding majority on the Supreme Court.

Murkowski has already said she won't vote on it. Gardener and Collins aren't risking their political career and Romney despises Trump. Plus you have Thune on record earlier in the year saying if it comes up the Senate will address it in the next session.

Anything can happen but it's likely this will be pushed past the election. Congress has done Jack the past few weeks in handling the pandemic and economic fallout so rushing a lighting rod nomination that will only embolden the opposition party right before the election is a very nearsighted thing to do.

Nov 18, 2011
Yes I think people are fence sitting in Maine and Vermont and New Hampshire and Pennsylvania and places like that...maybe in Arizona as well. I also think that it will draw more conservatives out to know that their pick makes a difference in the court. Honestly I know it's a risk, but so is too push. Surely you can see that it is a risk either way? I thought most R's on here thought the POTUS was going to be relected...to me the reaction I'm getting makes me think I was wrong maybe. IF you think he's going to be reelected, why not wait, IMHO it's going to help us keep the Senate the Presidency and you still get the pick.

I don't think we can get the nomination through considering the political pressure that's going to come to bear from the media and rioters...I'd push for a peaceful process and some agreement on this one thing...we are so divided, why not just say hey...winner take all...we are going to win and we will do it then plus maybe you get another appointment at some point in the next four years.
In the last 4 years, I actually thought the most unified point for Republicans and even moderates was the Kavanaugh treatment and hearings. It could benefit to have that play out again during the election.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
In the last 4 years, I actually thought the most unified point for Republicans and even moderates was the Kavanaugh treatment and hearings. It could benefit to have that play out again during the election.
I don't think it will come across the same way as it did. Kavanaugh was cut and dry bad treatment of a good guy...This would play differently considering we need unity on something so badly right now.