Someone let me know...

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CaymanS

Greenhorn
Oct 20, 2018
OKC
Actually Boone made it very clear on more than one occasion that if we cheated he wouldn't be giving us another dime. A team can win and have great student athletes as well, Boone wanted that...and NO we don't need anymore Prentiss Elliot's on campus to do that. As far as you saying we have a "mediocre coach," that is a opinion that many if not most in our fan base do not share. He is not taking advantage of any mindset that any fan or Regent may have...In fact, I would expect that he wants to win all the games his teams play far more than you or I. But go ahead and live in a world where you think expectations change reality so drastically as to propel Oklahoma State from the top 25 program we have become under Gundy to a top 5 one. Nothing wrong with high expectations, it's when they completely out pace reality that they become detrimental like they have at Nebraska, Michigan, Arkansas and other locations where the door seems to revolve on coaches who have larger fan bases, as good if not better facilities, and more money from donors.

No one is happy with losing to the Tech's of the world this last game...we all expect more...that doesn't mean we are stupid and don't take a look at the long term and the big picture and have a little patience.
Just keep this in mind: by the end of this season we will have paid Gundy $43,000,000, that’s Forty Three Million Dollars and how many conference titles and wins over ou did that get us? What would paying another coach $21 Million have gotten that we couldn’t get but for Gundy other than these non w-l criteria you keep bringing up? Are you saying but for Gundy, we would have had a bunch of dummies and criminals on campus because no other coach could control an athletic program as well. If you are satisfied with that, that’s why he’s gotten away with doing less with more in facilities than any predecessor because he’s the “winningest coach” at OSU. We stunk because of Rustoleum Stadium, not because of prior head coaches. And No TCU nor Baylor, nor any other school in this conference besides ou and ut have $180 Million in facilities the way we do. That’s a myth that keeps getting trotted out as an explanation for Gundy’s underperforming

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Just keep this in mind: by the end of this season we will have paid Gundy $43,000,000, that’s Forty Three Million Dollars and how many conference titles and wins over ou did that get us? If you are satisfied with that, that’s why he’s gotten away with it. And No TCU nor Baylor, nor any other school in this conference besides ou and ut have $180 Million in facilities the way we do. That’s a myth that keeps getting trotted out as an explanation for Gundy’s underperforming
He's coasting & doesn't care about winning, we got it. :thumbup:

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Just keep this in mind: by the end of this season we will have paid Gundy $43,000,000, that’s Forty Three Million Dollars and how many conference titles and wins over ou did that get us? What would paying another coach $21 Million have gotten that we couldn’t get but for Gundy other than these non w-l criteria you keep bringing up? Are you saying but for Gundy, we would have had a bunch of dummies and criminals on campus because no other coach could control an athletic program as well. If you are satisfied with that, that’s why he’s gotten away with doing less with more in facilities than any predecessor because he’s the “winningest coach” at OSU. We stunk because of Rustoleum Stadium, not because of prior head coaches. And No TCU nor Baylor, nor any other school in this conference besides ou and ut have $180 Million in facilities the way we do. That’s a myth that keeps getting trotted out as an explanation for Gundy’s underperforming
Your impossible. Who you gonna bring in that would do better over the next decade than he has in the past one? How are you going to accomplish this? I’d buy into that if I believed it for a hot second. Problem is, I don’t.

To address some of your "crap" (because that is what it is)...Someone else without ties to the school by both family and football (kind of like Les Miles)...Might bring in kids and overlook rules based on w/l records in order to get another job not caring one iota about what might happen to the schools football program in his wake...someone else might just jump at that next job because it's considered an upper level job (aka LSU, Texas, OU, Bama, others...). See below on facilities and pull your head out of the sand.

Bottom line, if you really feel he "has done less with more" you are truly living in a dream world where facts don't matter...

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Btw, you're talking out of your a$$ with regard to facilities.

Earlier this month, Kansas State became the latest Big 12 program to join the facility upgrade party. As part of a 10- to 15-year, $210 million master plan, the school is allocating $53.5 million to the football program — $29 million for south stadium improvements that includes premium seating, upgraded concessions/restrooms, a sound system and new video boards and $24.5 million for a new indoor facility.
Since 2016-17, the following Big 12 programs have or plan to make enhancements to facilities, specifically to the football program:
· In 2017, Oklahoma showcased $160 million worth of upgrades in the south end zone. The project was completed earlier this month with a new video board.
· In 2017, Texas Tech opened a $48 million indoor facility and is working on a south end zone renovation.
· In 2017, Kansas unveiled plans for $300 million in stadium renovations. Kansas has since started construction on a $26 million indoor facility.
· In 2018, Iowa State received board approval for a $65 to $80 million project that includes a sports nutrition center, expanded football complex and north end zone stadium improvements.
· In 2018, TCU announced a $100 million project for new seating, including 48 new boxes, two private clubs, more than 1,000 club seats and 22 luxury suites to be completed by 2019.
· Prior to the 2018 season, Oklahoma State added a new $5 million video board.
· In August, Texas announced $175 million in upgrades to the south end zone, filled with suites and other amenities for fans and student athletes, that will enclose the stadium. The expected completion date is 2021.
· Also in August, West Virginia debuted a $100 million athletics master plan that includes $55 million for an upgraded locker room, new visitors locker room and expanded academic center.
Add it up, and that’s $1 billion in new construction, ongoing projects or planned future upgrades for football facilities alone

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Btw, you're talking out of your a$$ with regard to facilities.

Earlier this month, Kansas State became the latest Big 12 program to join the facility upgrade party. As part of a 10- to 15-year, $210 million master plan, the school is allocating $53.5 million to the football program — $29 million for south stadium improvements that includes premium seating, upgraded concessions/restrooms, a sound system and new video boards and $24.5 million for a new indoor facility.
Since 2016-17, the following Big 12 programs have or plan to make enhancements to facilities, specifically to the football program:
· In 2017, Oklahoma showcased $160 million worth of upgrades in the south end zone. The project was completed earlier this month with a new video board.
· In 2017, Texas Tech opened a $48 million indoor facility and is working on a south end zone renovation.
· In 2017, Kansas unveiled plans for $300 million in stadium renovations. Kansas has since started construction on a $26 million indoor facility.
· In 2018, Iowa State received board approval for a $65 to $80 million project that includes a sports nutrition center, expanded football complex and north end zone stadium improvements.
· In 2018, TCU announced a $100 million project for new seating, including 48 new boxes, two private clubs, more than 1,000 club seats and 22 luxury suites to be completed by 2019.
· Prior to the 2018 season, Oklahoma State added a new $5 million video board.
· In August, Texas announced $175 million in upgrades to the south end zone, filled with suites and other amenities for fans and student athletes, that will enclose the stadium. The expected completion date is 2021.
· Also in August, West Virginia debuted a $100 million athletics master plan that includes $55 million for an upgraded locker room, new visitors locker room and expanded academic center.
Add it up, and that’s $1 billion in new construction, ongoing projects or planned future upgrades for football facilities alone
Please explain how these future renovations have had any impact on the last decade of the facilities arms race.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Please explain how these future renovations have had any impact on the last decade of the facilities arms race.
They're an example of the fact that schools aren't stopping with facilities, if you need that clarified.

Hint: these aren't the first projects done by the schools. Shockingly, other improvements have happened in the decade you wanted to know about.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
They're an example of the fact that schools aren't stopping with facilities, if you need that clarified.

Hint: these aren't the first projects done by the schools. Shockingly, other improvements have happened in the decade you wanted to know about.
Throw out uo and Texas, because they're in a league of their own with budgets. That leaves us and 7 other teams. Of those you listed, none of them seem to have had major upgrades that would impact recruiting. Do you have any other examples that may have impacted recruiting over the last decade?

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Throw out uo and Texas, because they're in a league of their own with budgets. That leaves us and 7 other teams. Of those you listed, none of them seem to have had major upgrades that would impact recruiting. Do you have any other examples that may have impacted recruiting over the last decade?

Texas Tech unveiled plans for a $185 million upgrade to all athletic facilities in 2014. Completed by the 2016 season, changes at Jones AT&T Stadium included updating the Double-T video/scoreboard and the addition of 56 loge boxes and a game-day stadium club in the north endzone.

Baylor builds a brand new stadium for a quarter billion, but yeah, please prattle on about "major upgrades."

Got any examples of Gundy coasting & not caring about winning? I'm waiting with baited breath here, what, with it being so obvious & all.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Texas Tech unveiled plans for a $185 million upgrade to all athletic facilities in 2014. Completed by the 2016 season, changes at Jones AT&T Stadium included updating the Double-T video/scoreboard and the addition of 56 loge boxes and a game-day stadium club in the north endzone.

Baylor builds a brand new stadium for a quarter billion, but yeah, please prattle on about "major upgrades."

Got any examples of Gundy coasting & not caring about winning? I'm waiting with baited breath here, what, with it being so obvious & all.
Baylor is a good example. But they also had a YUGE scandal that should have destroyed them for a decade. Instead, they're inexplicably back to a respectable level.

You clearly have less than zero interest in learning why I view Gundy as coasting, so I won't waste my time typing it all out. If it isn't obvious, then I'm not sure my spelling it out would make it any more obvious.

CaymanS

Greenhorn
Oct 20, 2018
OKC
My information on our facilities being better than any others in this conference besides ou and ut came straight from the company that built BPS, (regardless of the numbers) and they also are a msjor contributor to the program. They weren’t pounding their chests. Our facilities are better than anyone but those two programs, period. Not an excuse to trot out on why we are being out recruited by the other programs not named ou or ut

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Baylor is a good example. But they also had a YUGE scandal that should have destroyed them for a decade. Instead, they're inexplicably back to a respectable level.

You clearly have less than zero interest in learning why I view Gundy as coasting, so I won't waste my time typing it all out. If it isn't obvious, then I'm not sure my spelling it out would make it any more obvious.
So now you're walking it back? Nice. Facts suck sometimes.

& you're right, I have less than zero interest in ad hominem statements like that & you'd be wasting your time, because it's nothing but your opinion, with nothing to back it up.

Sep 16, 2004
DFW
This decade, we have had six seasons with at least 10 wins. During this time Gundy’s teams have not won fewer than 10 games in consecutive seasons. I think it’s reasonable to have a rebuilding season every 4-5 years. I just don’t get the hate. I think some people just don’t like his personality. If he were spitting nails and calling down fire and brimstone, maybe some folks would be happier. But it seems his record speaks for itself.

0BC1F055-C0F5-4BE2-99DE-25E1A54F863C.jpeg

Oct 30, 2007
Baylor spent $266M on their stadium. TCU spent $164M on stadium updates when they joined the Big 12, and they have more improvements on the way. I agree with you that our facilities are 3rd best in the conference, but others are slowly starting to catch up.

Coach Gundy makes a top 10 salary. That salary carries expectation. But we aren't a top 10 football program, so we have temper our expectations to some extent. Over the past decade, he's averaged 9.4 wins per year. That probably makes us a top 20 program over that time span. We probably should've won more conference championship along the way, but the consistency of his success has been impressive.

The rest of this season, and next season will be important to the program. Coach Gundy needs to prove that least year was a down year, and not the new norm.

Sep 16, 2004
DFW
OK, thanks for sharing your opinion. I anticipate goalposts being moved, but what in my comment are you disagreeing with? We’d all like to beat OU more often. We’d love to be in the CFPlayoffs (which we would have been in in 2011 if it existed). But looking at Gundy’s results, would another coach do any better?

I guess people just like to complain.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth

Nor any more factually correct...

Status
Not open for further replies.