Someone let me know...

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Status
Not open for further replies.

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
Just keep this in mind: by the end of this season we will have paid Gundy $43,000,000, that’s Forty Three Million Dollars and how many conference titles and wins over ou did that get us? What would paying another coach $21 Million have gotten that we couldn’t get but for Gundy other than these non w-l criteria you keep bringing up? Are you saying but for Gundy, we would have had a bunch of dummies and criminals on campus because no other coach could control an athletic program as well. If you are satisfied with that, that’s why he’s gotten away with doing less with more in facilities than any predecessor because he’s the “winningest coach” at OSU. We stunk because of Rustoleum Stadium, not because of prior head coaches. And No TCU nor Baylor, nor any other school in this conference besides ou and ut have $180 Million in facilities the way we do. That’s a myth that keeps getting trotted out as an explanation for Gundy’s underperforming
Try again
1571172692135.png

Oct 30, 2007
I don't mean to pile on, but we we've spent a lot more than $180 million in facilities during the Gundy era.
South side renovation: $47 million
North side renovation: $56 million
West end zone project: $184 million
Indoor practice facility: $19 million
Total facility upgrades: $306 million.

Gundy, Pickens, Holder, & many others deserve a great deal of credit for the transformation we've seen in facilities over the past 10-15 years. We've come a long way in a short time.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Throw out uo and Texas, because they're in a league of their own with budgets. That leaves us and 7 other teams. Of those you listed, none of them seem to have had major upgrades that would impact recruiting. Do you have any other examples that may have impacted recruiting over the last decade?

Texas Tech unveiled plans for a $185 million upgrade to all athletic facilities in 2014. Completed by the 2016 season, changes at Jones AT&T Stadium included updating the Double-T video/scoreboard and the addition of 56 loge boxes and a game-day stadium club in the north endzone.

Baylor builds a brand new stadium for a quarter billion, but yeah, please prattle on about "major upgrades."

Got any examples of Gundy coasting & not caring about winning? I'm waiting with baited breath here, what, with it being so obvious & all.
Upgrades to fan amenities at tech have nothing to do with recruiting.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth

Kids like bright lights and shinny new things like video boards and butts in the seats. I think our video board has to do with recruiting and I bet we take parents of recruits to the suites, so why wouldn't Tech's upgrades to those same amenities help? I think the point people are making is that many schools have dropped big money on their facilities since we did and maybe we need to make sure we don't rest. The arms race is what it is and we still don't even have a ribbon board...although the new jumbotron is a huge plus and a step in the right direction...also the fireworks from the top of BPS during games is a cool addition to gameday as well.

Apr 7, 2006
Again - many of our fans have a greater awareness of OSU and thus, a bias when trying to objectively evaluate the strengths and weaknesses effectively on a national scale.

We certainly have some selling points, but also a number of factors working against us too.

Rome wasn't built - and didn't fall- in a day.

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
Again - many of our fans have a greater awareness of OSU and thus, a bias when trying to objectively evaluate the strengths and weaknesses effectively on a national scale.

We certainly have some selling points, but also a number of factors working against us too.

Rome wasn't built - and didn't fall- in a day.
Nah, it burned. It took a little over a week.

CaymanS

Greenhorn
Oct 20, 2018
OKC
He's coasting & doesn't care about winning, we got it. :thumbup:
Not saying that but here are his recruiting rankings for the past four years
Nationally Big XII
2019 38/5th
2018 34/5th
2017 38/4th
2016 45/7th
You tell me he's working his backside off to recruit better players? Hell they are lauding his landing another 3-star for next year today on another site. He's not even trying to land 5 star recruits and he doesn't even go out to see recruits on Friday nights during football season, the one time he could actually go see a kid play. But that's okay, the "who else are you going to get" and the "other schools have caught up" and the "it's hard to recruit to Stillwater (but don't tell Boynton that)" and the "he's the winningest coach at OSU" and "we've got well-behaved student athletes" explanations cover his top 25 salary.

Nov 21, 2018
Amelia Island, FL

Kids like bright lights and shinny new things like video boards and butts in the seats. I think our video board has to do with recruiting and I bet we take parents of recruits to the suites, so why wouldn't Tech's upgrades to those same amenities help? I think the point people are making is that many schools have dropped big money on their facilities since we did and maybe we need to make sure we don't rest. The arms race is what it is and we still don't even have a ribbon board...although the new jumbotron is a huge plus and a step in the right direction...also the fireworks from the top of BPS during games is a cool addition to gameday as well.
A ribbon board is just for additional advertising. Our stadium isn’t really build for it either, given that we basically have one continuous level. I personally don’t care if we have one or not, it’s just sensory overload with all the flashing lights. If you want to impress a kid, let him fire up the end zone Jumbotron for a game of Madden against Gundy...or Dez....or some other big name they can brag about on IG or Twitter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.