Southern Baptist Convention Sexual Misconduct Report shows SBC mishandled or ignored claims last year

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Nov 6, 2010
I really feel for you. We have experienced similar. Just my advice so do with it what you will. Church is not “doing ministry”. It’s not drinking coffee and listening to a worship band w cool lights and smoke machines. Church is not even listening to a pastor expound on his or her scripture of the day or some cool new weekly sermon series. Can it be those things? Sure given the body of believers.

What I encourage is for you w your family and friends to get a group of 10 or so. Then once a week or every 2 weeks or whatever fits your schedule have “Taco Tuesday” or Chick-fil-A Thursday or whataburger Wednesday or golden dragon Friday or just make sandwiches. Everyone break bread together and remember who the Christ is. Tell funny stories and share your week. Your ups and downs. If appropriate read scripture and pray on it together even w your kiddos (especially w your kiddos). Encourage one another to be kind to their families, their friends their coworkers and most importantly those that might be difficult in their lives. In short just live life together. Take care of each other (financially if need be). SACRIFICE for each other. Find a cause worth donating time and money. Get to a point where you actually start discipling each other and others. If someone is musically inclined sing worship songs together. Invite others to your group that you know are going through what you are.

If you know of others working through things as you are that are out of town, have them join you via FaceTime or zoom and eat the same meal as those gathered.

Don’t go to church. Don’t do church. Be His Church (which can look a lot different than what we have on Sundays).

There are a lot of believers going through what you are. All ages all races. It’s ok to process what you are working through. It’s ok to question. Thomas lived daily w Jesus. Saw all the miracles. Heard all the teaching. And he still asked for proof.

1654278954196.png

RxCowboy

I'm your huckleberry. That's just my game.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Closer to Stillwater today than I was last year
The university where I worked had a Southern Baptist president, and who brought in and replaced most of the theologians on campus with SBC theologians. It became a microcosm of this report. We had multiple title IX complaints, had the chair of the board of regents forced to resign because of abuses that came to light (he himself was the president of an SBC seminary), a former pastor and friend of the president's was hired under a "rehabilitation" plan after what the president said was "technological infidelity" - he had a hidden camera in a lockerroom, and the dean of the school of pharmacy was fired after multiple complaints. I had many female faculty and staff in my office telling me how he had been inappropriate in their offices. I would tell them, I will go to HR with you but I cannot go to HR for you. The irony, after my divorce I was seen as "unfit for leadership". I had to get out of the place and I had to get out of Ohio.

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
The university where I worked had a Southern Baptist president, and who brought in and replaced most of the theologians on campus with SBC theologians. It became a microcosm of this report. We had multiple title IX complaints, had the chair of the board of regents forced to resign because of abuses that came to light (he himself was the president of an SBC seminary), a former pastor and friend of the president's was hired under a "rehabilitation" plan after what the president said was "technological infidelity" - he had a hidden camera in a lockerroom, and the dean of the school of pharmacy was fired after multiple complaints. I had many female faculty and staff in my office telling me how he had been inappropriate in their offices. I would tell them, I will go to HR with you but I cannot go to HR for you. The irony, after my divorce I was seen as "unfit for leadership". I had to get out of the place and I had to get out of Ohio.
Unfortunately we are expected to 'rehabilitate' those that are in some kind of service. It's sad

StillwaterTownie

Federal Marshal
Jun 18, 2010
Where else but Stillwater
So, crass hypocrisy rules over the human race. I don't know what to do about it, other than to revolt against the way it is by resolving to fire or ban hypocrites from the organization as soon as possible after they are exposed for who and what they are.

Last edited:

RxCowboy

I'm your huckleberry. That's just my game.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Closer to Stillwater today than I was last year
Unfortunately we are expected to 'rehabilitate' those that are in some kind of service. It's sad
This "rehab plan" shouldn't have happened. When everything the guy did came to light it was embarrassing for the university and he had to immediately be terminated. Be sure your sins will find you out. Just like the pastor in the video. It took the bravery of the woman and her husband, but his sins found him.