Spirit Airlines

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Boomer.....

Territorial Marshal
Feb 15, 2007
OKC
Spirit Airlines cancels 60% of scheduled flights on third day of "operational issues"

As of Tuesday evening, Spirit Airlines has canceled 60%, or 416, of the day's scheduled flights due to "operational issues" that have impacted the carrier for three consecutive days, according to FlightAware — a multinational aviation database.

The airline's issues, first reported over the weekend, were due to overlapping problems including staffing shortages, the weather and system outages, according to Spirit Airlines spokesperson Erik Hofmeyer.

"In responding to these challenges, Spirit has implemented some proactive cancellations again today to reset our operations," Hofmeyer said Tuesday.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/spirit-airlines-flights-canceled-operational-issues/

There are videos from Puerto Rico, Philly, and other places of passengers rioting after being stranded. Apparently Spirit has told workers to change out of their work clothes and leave for their own safety. Unlike other major airlines, Spirit is a cheap alternative and does not have ties to other airlines which could absorb some of the delayed passengers.

Nov 8, 2007
Bartlesville
Spirit Airlines cancels 60% of scheduled flights on third day of "operational issues"

As of Tuesday evening, Spirit Airlines has canceled 60%, or 416, of the day's scheduled flights due to "operational issues" that have impacted the carrier for three consecutive days, according to FlightAware — a multinational aviation database.

The airline's issues, first reported over the weekend, were due to overlapping problems including staffing shortages, the weather and system outages, according to Spirit Airlines spokesperson Erik Hofmeyer.

"In responding to these challenges, Spirit has implemented some proactive cancellations again today to reset our operations," Hofmeyer said Tuesday.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/spirit-airlines-flights-canceled-operational-issues/

There are videos from Puerto Rico, Philly, and other places of passengers rioting after being stranded. Apparently Spirit has told workers to change out of their work clothes and leave for their own safety. Unlike other major airlines, Spirit is a cheap alternative and does not have ties to other airlines which could absorb some of the delayed passengers.
Our daughter flew Spirit once. The person at the ticket counter, also loaded the luggage cart, wheeled it out to the tarmac and loaded the luggage onto the plane. They had one person doing the job of about 6 people. With the downturn in employment, it is not surprising.

Oct 29, 2016
US
A good friend of mine was hired by Spirit as a first class pilot. $17,000 a year. Never ever fly an airline that pays its most important employees less than $9 hr. Budget airlines cut way too many corners and in the most idiotic ways possible.

And so he quit, and now earns $30,000 a year for United. Still way too low in pay.. that's because the entire airline industry is on life support. Really tho, despite the convenience of flying anywhere in the world within a day, commercial airliners use a stupid amount of fuel just to fly planes that are hardly ever a quarter full. That's just ignorant. Beyond idiotic. Not to mention the absurdly ridiculous pollution of the atmosphere.

TheMonkey

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
A good friend of mine was hired by Spirit as a first class pilot. $17,000 a year. Never ever fly an airline that pays its most important employees less than $9 hr. Budget airlines cut way too many corners and in the most idiotic ways possible.

And so he quit, and now earns $30,000 a year for United. Still way too low in pay.. that's because the entire airline industry is on life support. Really tho, despite the convenience of flying anywhere in the world within a day, commercial airliners use a stupid amount of fuel just to fly planes that are hardly ever a quarter full. That's just ignorant. Beyond idiotic. Not to mention the absurdly ridiculous pollution of the atmosphere.
Gone are the days.

Boomer.....

Territorial Marshal
Feb 15, 2007
OKC

$17,000.
$30,000

:blink:

Aug 16, 2012

Wow, there has to be some sort of rating/tenure issue for him/her to make that little. I used to play baseball with a United pilot who made six figures 20 years ago and golf now with a just-retired American pilot who was pulling on almost $300k and lives in a mansion. $30k.....wow

Duke Silver

Find safe haven in a warm bathtub full of my jazz.
A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar
Wow, there has to be some sort of rating/tenure issue for him/her to make that little. I used to play baseball with a United pilot who made six figures 20 years ago and golf now with a just-retired American pilot who was pulling on almost $300k and lives in a mansion. $30k.....wow
Yeah.

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007

I haven’t been on a flight that’s been “a quarter full” in a decade.

Actually, I can’t remember when the last time I’ve been on a flight that it WASN’T a full flight, every seat taken.

Dec 11, 2011
My flight instructor at OSU made $20/hour in 2003. Brother-in-law is a fairly senior FedEx pilot, and when he was just starting out at a small regional airline in the mid 90's (like American Eagle for Delta; was called ASA) made at/over 100K. Anything with an airline that you've heard of (United, Southwest, AA, etc...) will be well into triple digits...

OSU79

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 22, 2009
Back home in God's (Green) Country
My flight instructor at OSU made $20/hour in 2003. Brother-in-law is a fairly senior FedEx pilot, and when he was just starting out at a small regional airline in the mid 90's (like American Eagle for Delta; was called ASA) made at/over 100K. Anything with an airline that you've heard of (United, Southwest, AA, etc...) will be well into triple digits...
I flew many, many (passenger) miles on ASA.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked

Seems suspect.... I have a good friend that's a flight attendant for SW, and makes WAY more than $30k.

TheMonkey

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
I haven’t been on a flight that’s been “a quarter full” in a decade.

Actually, I can’t remember when the last time I’ve been on a flight that it WASN’T a full flight, every seat taken.
Probably 2010 for me. When the effects of the recession were fading.