Stillwater "A Trip Down Memory Lane"

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jun 18, 2010
Where else but Stillwater
Looking back, it was, at least to my personal experience, how Stillwater cops were so little concerned about drunk driving after they stopped you for a traffic violation. Right after I had finished off a pitcher, I bet I smelled like it all over to them. But never got a DUI after being stopped. I guess one had to be pretty obviously flat out drunk on the road before cops made it an issue. These days that's among the first things a cop wants to ask you about. Lowering the alcohol blood level from .10 to .08 surely has a lot to do with it, other than public pressure.

Dec 15, 2012
Most on here are younger than me. If not all. I started in fall of 55 & lived in West Bennett. (thus westbennett55).Lived there 3 semesters & then all over Stillwater.

My sister & BIL graduated in 55, when it was still OAMC.

There was a drugstore across from where Joes is now located. Pool room on 2nd floo was where we spent much time.

Was a small cafe @ end of street called "Chili House" (or chili something) Was very good & affordable.

Hideway opened while i was there. Most places i frequented are gone.

Jun 18, 2010
Sorry, you missed the greatest party years Stillwater every had by far, from the mid 1970s to the mid 1980s. Settling Craig vs Boren worked wonders for doing that.

I heard Pistol Patty's on the strip used to be a roller skating rink, probably pre 1976. The building is now closed after Dirty's occupied it. Maybe it should go back to a skating rink, but heard it may reopen as a pool hall.

Sep 15, 2006
Chicago's (my first college beer, Alpha week, freshman year)
Chances (drown night every night; bad idea now that I look back on it)
Desperado's (country mixed with hip-hop)
Pizza Shuttle (as mentioned ... RIP)
Satellite Twin Theater (rocking seats, dollar movies)
Quarters (on the Strip)
Original NY Bagel Shops (Cowboy Club on a croissant was piled high)
The Cue (underground betting action for sports ... or not)
Record Exchange (Hey, man!)

naffigator

I am SuperKing!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 2, 2008
In a burnin' ring of fire.
Chicago's (my first college beer, Alpha week, freshman year)
Spent a lot of time there. Craig, the owner, was a friend of my brother's and my brother booked a lot of the bands that played there.
Chances (drown night every night; bad idea now that I look back on it)
Went there some, not a bad place.
Desperado's (country mixed with hip-hop)
Couldn't stand that place, everybody there seemed so plastic.
Pizza Shuttle (as mentioned ... RIP)
Worked there for 5+ years, miss it a lot. Sometimes when I'm in Norman I go get a SuperShuttle from one of the stores there.
Satellite Twin Theater (rocking seats, dollar movies)
Great theatre, loved the rocking chairs. Plus had LeMans Arcade right there to kill some time either before or after (or both) the movie.
Quarters (on the Strip)
Never went there but I do remember it.
Original NY Bagel Shops (Cowboy Club on a croissant was piled high)
I always liked the chicken salad on and "everything" bagel.
The Cue (underground betting action for sports ... or not)
Didn't go in there a lot but if I remember correctly they had cheap pitchers.
Record Exchange (Hey, man!)
Loved the Record Exchange and Ken, miss it. Unfortunately current music technology would have probably driven him out of business by now if he was still alive.

Jun 18, 2010
I don't think the Stonewall Tavern was mentioned.

The Lemans Arcade or whatever it was called at Cimarron Plaza.

Much later on, there was the Harbor and still is, one of the very few places to get away from the college kids. The Sundowner, by where Mom's Place used to be until it closed, was also good for that. So was Brannigan's until it closed. It was in the hotel at N. Perkins and E. McElroy.

Sep 15, 2006
Had some classes at Morrill Hall, so the Stonewall was a hop, skip and a jump across the street after class for an afternoon pitcher and some pool. Not bad, especially since I was *probably* not yet 21.

olderschool

Banned
Banned
Apr 14, 2009
The Jail Saloon. A million paper cups!
The Gray Fox.The upstairs at the fox had the coldest Bud bottles in Stillwater.
The bar ditch had great foosball!
spontaneous Street fights in front of the jail.
The golden whaler. The Coachman.
Saturday Streakers night 1974!! Just insane.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Hideaway...no better place to work!

NY Bagel...Paul & Rob & the early days there were the best. Cowboy Club on an Everything bagel-sign me up! Too bad they went public on the NYSE & eventually lost their way.:(

Willie's...$1 draws, Tuesday Night Taco Bar, & they actually had great live music then. Lived at 915 w. 4th for awhile & it probably saved me a DUI.

House of Greek in Cowboy Mall...don't look to see how clean it is, just take that Gyro & walk away & enjoy it!

Original Stillwater Bay/Mexico Joe's...both great little hole in the walls while they got their starts there. $1 taco Wednesdays were my jam.

Winchell's @6th & Hester...open 24 hours, 'nuff said

Shortcake's...always thought it was overrated, gimme Mom's Kitchen any day

Boomer Lake Disc Golf Course...became a fanatic about the sport there & played almost daily, rain or shine, for a couple of years

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2010
Last edited:
Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
Mason Jar was quite an awful dive bar. Having to sit on a board over the open top of an old barrel wasn't cool with a lot of chicks. But it's far better now. It's the Salty Bronc Saloon. It honors Red Dirt Music: https://www.stwnewspress.com/news/l...cle_03d8d21d-ea77-5c64-9ff4-128b632ad82b.html
I played more pool and drank more beer in 1978-79 at The Mason Jar than any other bar. My roommate tended bar so the music was what he wanted to play along with $0.69 pitchers Friday from 4:00-6:00. Dive? You're mixed up. A board on top of a whiskey barrel? Guess I missed that as did apparently all the chicks that hung out there.