The Biden Administration Thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 12, 2008
Biden restarts Trumps Remain in Mexico policy..

Joe Biden was forced on Thursday to resume the Trump-era Remain in Mexico policy as migrants head north for the border and GOP lawmakers introduce legislation to stop the White House from paying out migrant families separated under the previous administration. The Department of Homeland Security said Thursday it is acting to comply with a court order in reimplementing the Migrant Protection Protocols (MPP), which requires asylum-seekers who made it to the border by way of Mexico to remain in the country as they await U.S. court proceedings related to their claim.

Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow
Biden restarts Trumps Remain in Mexico policy..
Media Spin: Biden develops and implements policy to control surging border population and save Americans

Joe Biden was forced on Thursday to resume the Trump-era Remain in Mexico policy as migrants head north for the border and GOP lawmakers introduce legislation to stop the White House from paying out migrant families separated under the previous administration. The Department of Homeland Security said Thursday it is acting to comply with a court order in reimplementing the Migrant Protection Protocols (MPP), which requires asylum-seekers who made it to the border by way of Mexico to remain in the country as they await U.S. court proceedings related to their claim.

Sep 12, 2008
Another one bites the dust..

President Joe Biden announced on Tuesday he had accepted Saule Omarova's request to withdraw her nomination to lead the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency. The Soviet-born Cornell law professor proved a controversial choice from the outset. Republicans questioned her membership of youth communist organizations and her fiery criticism of Wall Street, but her nomination was ultimately sunk when moderate Democratic senators said they could not support her.

Sep 12, 2008
Stop being mean to Joe...

Three senior White House officials have been dispatched to newsrooms to try and drum up more favorable coverage of Joe Biden, according to a report on Tuesday night. The outreach came after officials became dismayed by the negative headlines. At the weekend, a Washington Post columnist published an op ed claiming that Biden was given worse media coverage than Trump - his analysis based on a data review he commissioned, looking into the words used in 200,000 articles. Some reacted with skepticism about allegations of bias, but others said it was true.

ramases2112

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Jun 28, 2008
Inside the Basket of Deplorables
www.reddit.com

Three senior White House officials have been dispatched to newsrooms to try and drum up more favorable coverage of Joe Biden, according to a report on Tuesday night. The outreach came after officials became dismayed by the negative headlines. At the weekend, a Washington Post columnist published an op ed claiming that Biden was given worse media coverage than Trump - his analysis based on a data review he commissioned, looking into the words used in 200,000 articles. Some reacted with skepticism about allegations of bias, but others said it was true.
SAD!

Sep 12, 2008
Tough talk from Joe..

President Joe Biden on Wednesday revealed he threatened Vladimir Putin with 'economic consequences like none he's ever seen' if the Russian president invades the Ukraine. 'I was very straightforward. There were no minced words. It was polite, but I made it very clear. If in fact, [Putin] invades Ukraine , there will be severe consequences, economic consequences like none he's ever seen or ever have been seen being imposed,' Biden told reporters on the South Lawn of the White House as he departed for a trip to Kansas City. He ruled out putting US boots on the ground in the Ukraine, saying that 'is not in the cards right now.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Sep 12, 2008
More bad polling for Biden..

Just 16 percent of American adults strongly approve of President Biden’s job performance, a Thursday NPR/Marist poll revealed.

The polling number is worrisome for the president. More than double the number of people strongly disapprove of Biden’s job performance than strongly approve of it.

Respondents indicated 38 percent strongly disapprove of Biden’s job performance, 22 points greater than those who strongly support Biden’s job performance.

Biden has fallen flat with independents. Only 10 percent of independents strongly approve of the president’s performance, while a whopping 38 percent strongly disapprove — a 28 point difference.

Moreover, more Democrats (5 percent) strongly disapprove of Biden’s job performance than Republicans strongly approve (2 percent).

Among white college graduates, a key voting bloc for Democrats, 35 percent strongly disapprove of Biden’s performance, while just 20 percent strongly approve.

People under the age of 45 also give the president low marks: Only 8 percent strongly approve of his performance, while 33 percent strongly disapprove.

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
Democrats trying to make the government pick winners and losers with our money.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/p...-happen-on-their-own-11638898332?link=sfmw_fb

That bill, known as the Build Back Better Act, proposes a tax credit for EVs worth up to $12,500. Part of that total — $4,500 — goes only to union-made vehicles assembled in the U.S. so Tesla, Toyota TM, -1.13% and other companies with non-unionized workforces have complained in recent weeks. The Tesla TSLA, -5.05% boss on Monday night also criticized a provision in a bipartisan infrastructure law that provides $7.5 billion for EV charging stations.

oks10

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/p...-happen-on-their-own-11638898332?link=sfmw_fb

That bill, known as the Build Back Better Act, proposes a tax credit for EVs worth up to $12,500. Part of that total — $4,500 — goes only to union-made vehicles assembled in the U.S. so Tesla, Toyota TM, -1.13% and other companies with non-unionized workforces have complained in recent weeks. The Tesla TSLA, -5.05% boss on Monday night also criticized a provision in a bipartisan infrastructure law that provides $7.5 billion for EV charging stations.
"Assembled in the US" I don't have a problem with there being additional tax incentives for consumers. "Union made" though is complete BS.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
"Assembled in the US" I don't have a problem with there being additional tax incentives for consumers. "Union made" though is complete BS.
I might be on board with this if it was Union Manufactured in the US. This is just Union assembled in the US...so parts made overseas and shipped in and then put together by Union workers.

Bull Crap..make it a Tax incentive for Union Manufactured and give tax incentive to keep manufacturing jobs in US

oks10

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
I might be on board with this if it was Union Manufactured in the US. This is just Union assembled in the US...so parts made overseas and shipped in and then put together by Union workers.

Bull Crap..make it a Tax incentive for Union Manufactured and give tax incentive to keep manufacturing jobs in US
I still think restricting it to union-only is BS. A US manufacturing job is a US manufacturing job.

oks10

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
well we have bastardized the term "manufacturing job" to the point it doesn't actually have the same definition in our government that it does in the dictionary.

So that's step one.
Still. A job filled by an American should be a job filled by an American. Union or not shouldn't make a difference as far as incentivizing consumers for buying their product. That's not a move concerned with increasing American jobs, that's a move concerned will increasing Union jobs.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Still. A job filled by an American should be a job filled by an American. Union or not shouldn't make a difference as far as incentivizing consumers for buying their product. That's not a move concerned with increasing American jobs, that's a move concerned will increasing Union jobs.
you also have to remember that it is American companies that are Unionized vrs Non American companies. So A tax incentive to benefit unionized work forces would mostly benefit American owned and American based companies vrs foreign manufactures...although foreign manufactures do provide Non unionized American Jobs.

Basically what I'm saying is that I understand the spirit of what the tax inventive is trying to do, but Americans who hold American Auto manufacturing jobs for a foreign company are left out

1639078720002.png

Aug 16, 2012

Is not union/non-union issues a huge part of the distribution issue in California?

oks10

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
you also have to remember that it is American companies that are Unionized vrs Non American companies. So A tax incentive to benefit unionized work forces would mostly benefit American owned and American based companies vrs foreign manufactures...although foreign manufactures do provide Non unionized American Jobs.

Basically what I'm saying is that I understand the spirit of what the tax inventive is trying to do, but Americans who hold American Auto manufacturing jobs for a foreign company are left out
This bill restricts it to Unionized American assemblers though. You've already correctly pointed out that there is a difference between assembly jobs and actual manufacturing jobs but your argument seems more focused to manufacturing jobs. I'm not saying you're making inaccurate arguments, just that I don't think what you're arguing is exactly what this bill is addressing. If their concern truly lies with American assembly jobs then they wouldn't tie a unionized stipulation to it, but they did. To me at least, that looks a lot more like pushing for union jobs than it does American jobs. Even if they were trying to address American manufacturing jobs (which falls more into what you would like to see) then they could have easily worded it as such and still had no need to restricting it to unionized workforces. You can make that distinction without tying "union" to it. It also makes it look like they're saying that union workers are more important than non-union workers by adding this stipulation.

Duke Silver

Find safe haven in a warm bathtub full of my jazz.
A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar
This bill restricts it to Unionized American assemblers though. You've already correctly pointed out that there is a difference between assembly jobs and actual manufacturing jobs but your argument seems more focused to manufacturing jobs. I'm not saying you're making inaccurate arguments, just that I don't think what you're arguing is exactly what this bill is addressing. If their concern truly lies with American assembly jobs then they wouldn't tie a unionized stipulation to it, but they did. To me at least, that looks a lot more like pushing for union jobs than it does American jobs. Even if they were trying to address American manufacturing jobs (which falls more into what you would like to see) then they could have easily worded it as such and still had no need to restricting it to unionized workforces. You can make that distinction without tying "union" to it. It also makes it look like they're saying that union workers are more important than non-union workers by adding this stipulation.
shows its not about the environment at all, just money funneling