The "New" Big-12?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jan 15, 2017
Enid
By the way, can someone explain to me how losing #11 Oklahoma and adding #3 Cincinnati, #15 BYU and #17 Houston makes the Big-12 a weaker football conference?
Recruiting rankings and “5” star players. It almost feels like a wash to me but to be fair, those teams would not be ranked like that if they were in the big XII. BYU is good they would probably be down a few spots competing with Iowa state and Texas tech. Houston wouldn’t be ranked and I don’t believe Cincinnati would be undefeated.

Jostate

Identifies as a Cowboys fan
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
As bad as UT is for the conference (LHN), in another way they are ideal. What more could you want than a high profile, big money, member who is beatable most years?

Dec 2, 2008
SC
Here’s the difference. Look how little love the BIG12 has gotten this year because OU is just not very good. That reason, albeit not fair, gets lumped on the whole conference. It’ll be even worse once the goons are gone.

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
Texas hasn’t been Texas in over a decade. This might be the “worst” OU team I’ve seen in a while, they lost a lot of talent but more so, I don’t see any leadership on the field.

That being said TCU and WVU were becoming household names in BCS bowls until they came to the Big12. Both have largely underperformed since joining. TCU had one solid season and a couple of ok years but both have not lived up to expectations.

I think it’s easy to underestimate how hard it is to be successful in the P5. Every week you’re going up against a collection of talent with NFL caliber players with a different strategy and game plan. I think it’s far easier for a team like Cinci to “get up” and win a game against a great team than it is to run a schedule full of average P5 schools.

Will be interesting to see

Feb 5, 2007
Benton, Arkansas
By the way, can someone explain to me how losing #11 Oklahoma and adding #3 Cincinnati, #15 BYU and #17 Houston makes the Big-12 a weaker football conference?
Those rankings would not be where they are if they played a Big 12 schedule every week. Odds are only 2 or 1 of the 3 would be ranked at this point.

But at this point I believe the new Big 12 is well rounded and deeper.

Last edited:

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Those rankings would not be where they are if they played a Big 12 schedule every week. Odds are only 2 of 1 would be ranked at this point.

They did beat the Irish at their place, so they are pretty good...Pretty similar to us but I do think we are better.

Sep 17, 2019
Edmond
Because the team that has won almost all the Big 12 championships is leaving. The new Big 12 is in no way as good as the old unfortunately...

Last edited:

OrangeFan69

LA Face with an Okla. booty.
A/V Subscriber
Apr 24, 2010
Los Angeles 90046
instagram.com
Those rankings would not be where they are if they played a Big 12 schedule every week. Odds are only 2 or 1 of the 3 would be ranked at this point.

I'll credit BYU more than the others; They consistently schedule as many P5 schools as possible. 2020 was difficult to schedule because so many schools stuck with conference schedules. But they had UAz, AzSt, Baylor, SC, UVa and Wazzou on their schedule this season. In 2022, They are scheduled for Baylor, Ark, ND, UO. and Stanford. They may have an easier transition to P5 than the others.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2007
Tulsa, Okla.
I'll credit BYU more than the others; They consistently schedule as many P5 schools as possible. 2020 was difficult to schedule because so many schools stuck with conference schedules. But they had UAz, AzSt, Baylor, SC, UVa and Wazzou on their schedule this season. In 2021, They are scheduled for Baylor, Ark, ND, UO. and Stanford. They may have an easier transition to P5 than the others.
Yeah BYU has more than shown they can get things done. They play a very tough schedule every year.

As for Cincy and Houston, we'll see. TCU was obviously able to handle the transition. They aren't like a top 15 team every year, but they are competitive most years and will have a really good team every so often. That's probably about what Houston and Cincy will do.

Oct 22, 2008
Austin, Tx
Because the team that has won almost all the Big 12 championships is leaving. The new Big 12 is in no way as good as the old unfortunately...
But still better than the ACC and the Pac12 at least.

PistolPete'sMustache

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Aug 3, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Same thing. The conference will be better competitively than the PAC and ACC but make a ton less money. Best hope is that we and some others can make a name for ourselves making the CFP consistently and get our dollars even with the others.

I would still take a PAC offer today though, because the money and exposure is still a lot better.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Same thing. The conference will be better competitively than the PAC and ACC but make a ton less money. Best hope is that we and some others can make a name for ourselves making the CFP consistently and get our dollars even with the others.

I would still take a PAC offer today though, because the money and exposure is still a lot better.
I'm sorry, but the pac-12 is about to have renegotiation of their media rights, and when that happens they will not be making a decent amount of money. Come on, they are pitiful teams and nobody wants to stay up and watch them.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

OkstateKerr

Territorial Marshal
Jan 13, 2005
I'm sorry, but the pac-12 is about to have renegotiation of their meteorites and when that happens they will not be making a decent amount of money. Come on, they are pitiful teams and nobody wants to stay up and watch them.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
I never understood why the Pac 12 always gets such a pass. Its Oregon and a bunch of bad football. Maybe its because no one actually watches them. We would dominiate the Pac 12.

Aug 31, 2004
Austin, TX
I never understood why the Pac 12 always gets such a pass. Its Oregon and a bunch of bad football. Maybe its because no one actually watches them. We would dominiate the Pac 12.
This--The Pac12 is garbage. Heck, BYU beat three Pac12 teams this season. I can almost guarantee that they'll eventually be coming to the B12 to try and negotiate some kind of partnership deal.