1. You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Underwood to Illinois per multiple sources

Discussion in 'OSU Sports Forum' started by teibbor, Mar 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HacklemanPoke

HacklemanPoke Wrangler

I've only met ADMH 1x and he smiled shook my hand and said hi so I have no basis to judge how he deals w people and won't form an opinion on that until I sit down w him many times or get to observe him myself deal w people.

What I believe is that he made the absolute right decision not to pay up for multiple reasons. If he goes to $3MM then we are in same position after next season if we do well or we are in the Travis Ford position if we crap out. Once an employee holds you hostage they will do it again and again. This was not the last time BU was going to the well. You've got to think about the entire athletic dept. Giving BU another $1mm on top of the $1mm holder offered comes from somewhere I'm guessing is not football. Is it wrestling. Is it baseball. Softball. Women's golf or tennis. That type of reallocation cripples elsewhere. Then you have Gundy siting there who has sold more season tix, generated more bowl revenue and more wins relative to that programs history. Getting Top 25 $ watching potential get top 10 $ wo really proving more in the win column than the guy that was just fired at the same point in his OSU tenure.

Finally think long term. Basketball does not get OSU a seat at the table in the next Conf realign. KU maybe but no way OSU. Football will. We have to keep winning and based on our history that means keeping HCMG. We can't afford a 2-5 yr drought in the next 8 years. And that probably means HCMG gets paid $5mm/yr somewhere along the way.

• Like Like x 11
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  2. InTheKnow

InTheKnow Usually Last to Know
    A/V Subscriber

Good thoughts, interesting angle. I agree - time to make things right with Gundy and make a solid basketball hire too.

• Like Like x 2
  3. OSUinTX

OSUinTX Cowboy

You know good and well the implications was for discussions well before tournament time. Splitting hairs.

4. OSUinTX

OSUinTX Cowboy

5. CowboyOrangeFan

CowboyOrangeFan Mmmm, yeah.
    A/V Subscriber

No, we aren't. We are only in that position if someone is willing to pay him more. That wouldn't be a guarantee, and probably not very likely. Since $3 mm would already be pushing it. The only way he gets a better offer is if he wins an absolute an obscene amount of games. Nice problem to have.

Everyone acts like $3 million is completely absurd. It isn't. It is the market (actually that ended up being around $2.8 million). If you don't want to deal with that, then you can settle for something less. Or hope you get lucky. Although if you do, guess what? You are back in the same boat.

Apparently, the real problem is that we didn't even get a chance to match it. If it is indeed yet another case of Holder being Holder, then we need to address it. We can't have him doing this every damn year (yes I'm including his Gundy blowups)

• Like Like x 2
  6. PairofCowboys

PairofCowboys Wrangler

It's only the market rate for Underwood if someone wants to pay that for him. Only Illinois was. Mizzou passed, and we did, too. It's already been established that at least half of the teams in the Sweet 16 are paying less for coaches.

What has Underwood done that dictates that he should be paid more than them?

• Like Like x 3
  7. HacklemanPoke

HacklemanPoke Wrangler

You may know holder personally and have been in the room when he's dealt w coaches or watched his negotiations. If so I defer to you.

$3mm is an absurd amount of $ for a coach w potential. That is less than $1mm behind Gundy. It's top 10 in all of NCAA basketball.
    I liked his style of coaching but we were 9-9 in conf and 3-12 against tourney teams. That's not top10 $.

Every time I have an employee more $ to keep them from going elsewhere they did it again. Not one time were they content so I stopped doing that and we managed just fine.

I bought season tix this yr because of BU. I'll keep them and add 1 regardless of who we hire (unless it's Ford). BU shopped himself before the season was over. I can't say for certain he would do it again but based on his timing this time and what he has told the Illini I expect it would happen again soon.

• Like Like x 10
  8. Jostate

Jostate Federal Marshal
    A/V Subscriber

He would if he could but nobody is going to bribe him with a significant raise from where he is now.

9. DataAddict

DataAddict Cowboy

Alright, I over-spoke. But is it not better to know he's a slime-ball now as opposed to later?

• Like Like x 1
  10. petropoke

petropoke Sheriff

Pretty awkward. Especially when he accidentally did the guns up at the end. :lol:

• Like Like x 3
    • LOL LOL x 1
  11. ashpkt

ashpkt Cowboy

$18M 6yr deal. I'm sure all references to $3M are the avg. and that his deal starts $2.2 in year one and scales up from there.

12. docjoctoo

docjoctoo Sheriff

I learned a long time ago... to never trust or deal with a man who can not keep his word. He is always about himself and never about anyone else. He is not the man or the coach we need at Oklahoma State!

• Like Like x 4
  13. LS1 Z28

LS1 Z28 Deputy

14. pennpoke

pennpoke Deputy
    A/V Subscriber

Found this on an Illinois forum, in between their high fives and snarky condescending comments about OSU and Stillwater.

[​IMG]

Looks as though they've buttressed themselves against him pulling a similar move, to the tune of a cool $8.5 million buyout his first year, decreasing each year.

So one of two things will happen. He'll either do well and they'll get jilted like us and SFA later down the road, perhaps at the three year mark, or he will Underwhelm and they'll be screaming at their own AD because they'll be stuck with him and his enormous buyout.

• Like Like x 2
  15. cowboyethics344

cowboyethics344 Federal Marshal

Underwood is going to be a flop there. He won't have the NBA talent he could get from a school likes of OSU. Evans saved his ass many of times. I think he could of succeeded here but he chose to leave for a trap job. Illini fans talk crap about Stillwater LMFAO. Illinois is 3 hrs from a big city and is competing in a very competitive market where most athletes would rather go to a big time program like Duke or KU out of Chicago. They know they will be showcased for the NBA and are not 200 miles from a decent size city for fan support. Illinois was hard for Bruce Webber and bill self. Self was smart enough to leave before anything bad.

• Like Like x 3
  16. bbriscoe

bbriscoe Deputy

But $$$ ?

17. OrangeInAustin

They have a great class coming in. Once again BU will be walking into a position with someone else's good players. With that buyout we can see how he does over the long term, as B1G is certainly not Southland (his tourney upsets notwithstanding).

18. bbriscoe

bbriscoe Deputy

1 offer does not make a market. In this case, it looks like an outlier for someone of BU's credentials.

If Illinois was a homebuyer no bank would lend to them for what they offered on this "house" because the appraisal of comparables would come in so much lower.

• Like Like x 3
  19. wrenhal

wrenhal Territorial Marshal

I think he means how long at any one specific school

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

20. Paddytap288

Paddytap288 Deputy

Ya he didn't deserve what he was asking.

• Like Like x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.