Unusual Symptoms... related to Coronavirus?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Feb 11, 2007
Oklahoma City
Unusual symptoms not usually found with the flu have been reported with Coronavirus. This includes loss of smell, transient backaches, dizziness, transient muscle pains etc. I am interested if any of you have seen these or other strange symptoms, in people you know but have not been confirmed to have the virus. Time will tell with antibody tests but I suspect the Coronavirus infects many people who have very unusual short-lived symptoms.

sc5mu93

WeaselMonkey
A/V Subscriber
Oct 18, 2006
Spring, TX
Unusual symptoms not usually found with the flu have been reported with Coronavirus. This includes loss of smell, transient backaches, dizziness, transient muscle pains etc. I am interested if any of you have seen these or other strange symptoms, in people you know but have not been confirmed to have the virus. Time will tell with antibody tests but I suspect the Coronavirus infects many people who have very unusual short-lived symptoms.
On 4/3, I had random 103F fever into the night plus associated body aches prior to actual fever. Saturday I had a headache but no fever. Sunday I was fine. At that point, I hadn't left the house in 2-3 weeks. No clue. Scared the crap out of my wife and kids, as we have been the overreaction type (e.g. cleaning groceries). I'm guessing it was just plain jane Flu, and my flu shot made it really short lived. Who knows.

I generally don't get sick with fever. Its really rare for me. The last time I even remember having a fever was in 2012. I will often get sinutitis from allergies but that is really it. This was a unwelcome surprise.

Deere Poke

I'd rather be in the woods
A/V Subscriber
Feb 13, 2014
Bixby-Bristow OK
Feeling great is literally a symptom of this virus. Scratchy throat with a mild dry cough is a symptom. It's allergy season and all the cars that are parked outside are green. Dang near everyone in OK has a scratchy throat with a mild dry cough. From what I've been hearing on different interviews and calls with experts what I described above describes 80% of the cases. How are you supposed to have a clue if you have it or not.

OSU79

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 22, 2009
Back home in God's (Green) Country
On 4/3, I had random 103F fever into the night plus associated body aches prior to actual fever. Saturday I had a headache but no fever. Sunday I was fine. At that point, I hadn't left the house in 2-3 weeks. No clue. Scared the crap out of my wife and kids, as we have been the overreaction type (e.g. cleaning groceries). I'm guessing it was just plain jane Flu, and my flu shot made it really short lived. Who knows.

I generally don't get sick with fever. Its really rare for me. The last time I even remember having a fever was in 2012. I will often get sinutitis from allergies but that is really it. This was a unwelcome surprise.
Your mission, should you decide to accept it: eventually get tested and let us know if you had it. Symptoms sound as classic as any we've heard, yet you seem to have been as careful as anyone I know. Very similar to what my BIL has been doing, though I'm not sure they've bought anything since their early March stock up. He and his wife have kept 5 kids on a tightly regimented meal plan and they only eat the kids' leftovers. I think they're nuts.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO

Your mission, should you decide to accept it: eventually get tested and let us know if you had it. Symptoms sound as classic as any we've heard, yet you seem to have been as careful as anyone I know. Very similar to what my BIL has been doing, though I'm not sure they've bought anything since their early March stock up. He and his wife have kept 5 kids on a tightly regimented meal plan and they only eat the kids' leftovers. I think they're nuts.
You mean their kids are the taste testers? As in, if the kids don’t get sick they’ll eat it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN
The loss of smell and taste seems to be a unique unusual symptom. Everything else could be allergies or a random cold but coming from someone with no medical background that one seems to be a telling symptom.

Feb 11, 2007
Oklahoma City
I know a man who upon getting up one morning had vertigo(things turning around) not light headedness, who then set back in his bed and began heavily sweating. It was a cold sweat without fever that completely wet his clothes. He went back to bed, sleep awhile. got up and has not had these symptoms again.

UrbanCowboy1

Some cowboys gots smarts real good like me.
Aug 8, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
I know a man who upon getting up one morning had vertigo(things turning around) not light headedness, who then set back in his bed and began heavily sweating. It was a cold sweat without fever that completely wet his clothes. He went back to bed, sleep awhile. got up and has not had these symptoms again.
You are exactly describing me last Tuesday. I never have had vertigo before, but I just woke up and couldn’t even get out of bed my head was spinning so hard and I had cold sweats. Wife took our son for the morning, bless her. I slept for like 5 more hours, felt better but not great, then rested the rest of the day. Woke up the next day feeling a bit better, by Saturday I was going for a run again, felt great ever since. Had a bad dry cough the week before as well, but it’s also gone. I thought it was weird because I’ve never had vertigo before, and the dry cough was like I couldn’t drink enough water to make it go away. Feeling fine, now, have for several days.

UrbanCowboy1

Some cowboys gots smarts real good like me.
Aug 8, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
Link?

Feb 11, 2007
Oklahoma City
You are exactly describing me last Tuesday. I never have had vertigo before, but I just woke up and couldn’t even get out of bed my head was spinning so hard and I had cold sweats. Wife took our son for the morning, bless her. I slept for like 5 more hours, felt better but not great, then rested the rest of the day. Woke up the next day feeling a bit better, by Saturday I was going for a run again, felt great ever since. Had a bad dry cough the week before as well, but it’s also gone. I thought it was weird because I’ve never had vertigo before, and the dry cough was like I couldn’t drink enough water to make it go away. Feeling fine, now, have for several days.
Very interesting that you symptoms were almost exactly the same as the man's I described above!

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO

Friend of mine just out of quarantine (never tested positive) had fever, pounding headache, cough & what looked like cellulitis show up on his right foot/ankle area.

All gone as of Monday.

Now, my father's recovered from being positive and he had most of the typical symptoms, but a fair amount of GI stuff with his case. Up until that point, there really wasn't any reporting on GI association with COVID, but I've since seen a lot of that reported.

Feb 11, 2007
Oklahoma City
I know another man who told me he was feeling fine but felt he needed to the bath room. He sat down
and fell unconscious. He hit his head on the floor and thinks he had an uncontrollable muscle contraction.
He awoke with the skin on his head cut but soon felt fine. He has never had anything like this before. I told him to see a physician as soon this virus is over and get a full workup to determine any possible reason for this
seizure.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
In mid-February I had chills so cold I had to put on my coat at my desk just before I left due to illness. Then I had body aches (back and muscle pain) really severe, and what I thought was minor upper respiratory congestion, never took my temp but took OCM's for the pain so that likely took it away, called the doc and took a z-pac and it went away in about three days. I figured it was a bacterial infection since it seemed to respond to the z-pac... so I flew to Colorado and skied on day 4 but the first day skiing(2-18) I had trouble and didn't really want to be on the slopes, I had minor trouble getting O2 that day...maybe just altitude or trying to keep up with expert friends...felt much improved second day and skied better without to much breathing problems...have no idea if it was a cold, the flu, or this virus, but fellow skiers didn't seem to get anything...My wife got it next, about the same thing but with a fever. She was down for a week and didn't take anything for whatever it was. Our son in law got it the following week after her visit to them and was down for about week...neither our other son or daughter got it despite her contact with them. Still don't know if we had covid-19 early or something else like a cold or bacterial infection. I have been mostly healthy since except for a very sore throat about two weeks ago that had white spots on it so my doc gave me another z-pac and it cleared. My lungs are still a little weird/weak at times but not congested (I'm a hiker and do lots of miles and it just doesn't seem the same yet). However, I'm starting to feel much better now than I have in weeks and the lungs seem good ( at least I hope). I've got some underlining conditions so I'm hoping it's gone...not to return...whatever it was.

Feb 11, 2007
Oklahoma City
In mid-February I had chills so cold I had to put on my coat at my desk just before I left due to illness. Then I had body aches (back and muscle pain) really severe, and what I thought was minor upper respiratory congestion, never took my temp but took OCM's for the pain so that likely took it away, called the doc and took a z-pac and it went away in about three days. I figured it was a bacterial infection since it seemed to respond to the z-pac... so I flew to Colorado and skied on day 4 but the first day skiing(2-18) I had trouble and didn't really want to be on the slopes, I had minor trouble getting O2 that day...maybe just altitude or trying to keep up with expert friends...felt much improved second day and skied better without to much breathing problems...have no idea if it was a cold, the flu, or this virus, but fellow skiers didn't seem to get anything...My wife got it next, about the same thing but with a fever. She was down for a week and didn't take anything for whatever it was. Our son in law got it the following week after her visit to them and was down for about week...neither our other son or daughter got it despite her contact with them. Still don't know if we had covid-19 early or something else like a cold or bacterial infection. I have been mostly healthy since except for a very sore throat about two weeks ago that had white spots on it so my doc gave me another z-pac and it cleared. My lungs are still a little weird/weak at times but not congested (I'm a hiker and do lots of miles and it just doesn't seem the same yet). However, I'm starting to feel much better now than I have in weeks and the lungs seem good ( at least I hope). I've got some underlining conditions so I'm hoping it's gone...not to return...whatever it was.
Agree with you...its extremely difficult to determine the reason for series symptoms you and your family suffered from. However the high altitude might play a role in making symptoms worse. Some years ago I visited Silverton. Colorado which is a small town north of Darango. It is an old mining town high above the tree line. In a small bookstore I found an old book describing the 1918 flu epidemic in Silverton. Many suffered extremely severe symptoms and died. One family for example got sick in the morning and died late that day. Miners who stayed at their mine far away higher up the mountains were entirely spared. None of the them died.

Pokey

Territorial Marshal
Sep 13, 2013
Left field
Agree with you...its extremely difficult to determine the reason for series symptoms you and your family suffered from. However the high altitude might play a role in making symptoms worse. Some years ago I visited Silverton. Colorado which is a small town north of Darango. It is an old mining town high above the tree line. In a small bookstore I found an old book describing the 1918 flu epidemic in Silverton. Many suffered extremely severe symptoms and died. One family for example got sick in the morning and died late that day. Miners who stayed at their mine far away higher up the mountains were entirely spared. None of the them died.
Sounds like social distancing works. Lol

Oct 25, 2009
Twin Falls, ID
I was sick back in Feb. First day was a scratchy throat. Next day, runny nose and couldnt stop sneezing. That night, worst headache Ive ever experienced. Grown ass man crying...yep. Next morning, severe aches and in and out of fever episodes. Had to change my bedding a couple times due to the amount of sweat...maybe I peed the bed..who knows. Day 4 my wife started with the scratchy throat stuff, so I knew she had it too. I had a brutal dry cough for about 4 days. Then turned into marshmallow stuffy head. It lasted with minor symptoms almost a full 3 weeks.

Just fyi...she and I both took benadryl at night to help with the cough and drank teas that are herbal respiratory health teas. Added teaspoon of lemon juice, teaspoon of honey, and a shot of Jameson. Best drink for the respiratory sickness ever. I dont do doctors. I try to self manage as best I can with natures remedies.

No idea if we had it or not, because there was no testing going on for it at the time. Ready for the antibody testing to roll out so we can find out though.

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
Sep 30, 2004
On Tour with the Gap Band
strikeupthegapband.com

Interesting, just read where Rita Wilson said that the side effects she had from hydroxychloroquine was extreme nausea and vertigo. Of course, how she knew that was caused by the medicine, and not caused by the virus, I have no idea.....

sc5mu93

WeaselMonkey
A/V Subscriber
Oct 18, 2006
Spring, TX
I don't like to waste food (because I'm cheap) but no way am I living exclusively on my kids' leftovers.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Major league baseball is conducting a study of 10,000 employees to check for antibodies. I think they are trying to determine how deeply society has been penetrated by the virus.