vehicle dilemma

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

oks10

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
Looks to be VERY promising! At first, I wasn’t liking the design... it just reminded me too much of the Flex. Now, as I’ve seen more and more pics released, it’s growing on me FAST! Finally saw a pic with a person sitting in the driver’s seat, and the damn thing is HUUUGE! I love it! Initially thought it was going to be Jeep size or a even a hair smaller... but it’s not! It’s a BIG vehicle. And again, I LOVE THAT!

The specs, the options, the features and performance... it’s going to sell really, REALLY well! I actually expect it to kick the sh*t outta the Jeep.

Hopefully they drop the TT 3.5 in it in a couple years, then I’ll buy. Or even better, a 5.0L. I can dream dammit.

^^^^^^all of this coming from an extremely brand loyal, 3rd generation, lifelong GM/Chevy owner who bought his first non-GM vehicle just a few years ago and already decided that my next vehicle will be either Ford Raptor or Bronco.

GM can kick smurfing rocks. Done with them and their incredibly stupid decisions over the past 10+ years.
I feel the same way. I'd even consider swapping my STi out for one... I hope this thing obliterates Jeep.

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
I feel the same way. I'd even consider swapping my STi out for one... I hope this thing obliterates Jeep.
I'm just really torn (so also in a dilemma) on what to do...

1) I could easily sell my 2014 FJ Cruiser and pocket some cash. These silly things hold incredible value too. Used market value is WAY above what I have left on the note. AND throw in some extra cash outta savings, I could easily go get in to a new Raptor rather quickly.

OR...

2) Just keep rocking the FJ for ~2 more years, keep playing with it and modding here and there as I want, and wait for the second production year of the Bronco. (*My luck, just as soon as I bought the Bronco, Ford will drop the Raptor version with the TT 3.5 and a dreamy suspension and ultra-aggressive styling and I'll be lividly pissed... because ultimately, that's what I want).

There's also the Rivian R1T and the Nikola Badger that "may" hit the market in the next 2 years, and both of these electric trucks look VERY, VERY promising. I had never even considered an electric vehicle until these two sshowed up on the scene.

Just a really great time to be alive if you're a gearhead. Second HP war that doesn't seem to have an end in sight, purpose built factory offroad vehicles with tons of options, and electronic pickups that out perform an Audi R8 for a fraction of the price... tooooooo many things to pick from and toooooo resource deficient to own one of everything. :unsure:

Sep 6, 2012
Edmond
I spoke to my fleet manager about the bronco. You pay the 100 bucks for the reservation slot, then you will negotiate the price when the build slot opens for the build.. Yesterday the bronco had been available for order for 36 hours and they had 52 reservations already.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
I spoke to my fleet manager about the bronco. You pay the 100 bucks for the reservation slot, then you will negotiate the price when the build slot opens for the build.. Yesterday the bronco had been available for order for 36 hours and they had 52 reservations already.
Expect a $5-10k premium, if not more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
Best equipped
Most comfortable
Best mileage
Best power
Best 1/2 ton tow vehicle

Most overpriced to reel in the suckers

Quality and capability isn’t cheap.

The quality is no different than the XLT. They have a saying here in Texas “All hat and no cattle”. That’s who they build the Raptor for.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
Best equipped
Most comfortable
Best mileage
Best power
Best 1/2 ton tow vehicle

Most overpriced to reel in the suckers

Quality and capability isn’t cheap.

The quality is no different than the XLT. They have a saying here in Texas “All hat and no cattle”. That’s who they build the Raptor for.

Well, up here at 10,000 feet where the ground is snow covered 6 months a year and I have to be able to maneuver through 2 feet of snow, tow 7,000 pounds, pull people out of ditches and have unparalleled off-road capability, I’d leave your XLT at home.

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007

It actually has a pretty poor tow/haul rating* for a 1/2 ton (because of the suspension). Buuuutttt… that suspension is also purpose built and far from "all hat no cattle". What other 1/2 ton factory truck has that kind of ground clearance and you can jump off a 3 foot retaining wall and not hit the bumpstops and not crap parts and pieces out from underneath the truck?

Is it practical and needed for your run-of-the-mill 1/2 ton get around town truck? No. BUT neither is 95% of the features they put on trucks anymore today.

I'm with ya though. They built the Raptor to sell a $60-70k+ 1/2 ton truck... and sell a lot of them... and they do! I'm finding out most dealerships won't even come off the sticker prices on Raptors... and yet they still sell. Like hot cakes.

*Btw, the tow/haul rating on the new Bronco is even worse. Probably the one thing Ford crapped the bed on with this new model. It can barely pull a set of jet-skis.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO

It actually has a pretty poor tow/haul rating* for a 1/2 ton (because of the suspension). Buuuutttt… that suspension is also purpose built and far from "all hat no cattle". What other 1/2 ton factory truck has that kind of ground clearance and you can jump off a 3 foot retaining wall and not hit the bumpstops and not crap parts and pieces out from underneath the truck?

Is it practical and needed for your run-of-the-mill 1/2 ton get around town truck? No. BUT neither is 95% of the features they put on trucks anymore today.

I'm with ya though. They built the Raptor to sell a $60-70k+ 1/2 ton truck... and sell a lot of them... and they do! I'm finding out most dealerships won't even come off the sticker prices on Raptors... and yet they still sell. Like hot cakes.

*Btw, the tow/haul rating on the new Bronco is even worse. Probably the one thing Ford crapped the bed on with this new model. It can barely pull a set of jet-skis.

The HO 3.5L Ecoboost in the Raptor is rated at 450 HP and 510 lb-ft of torque. The 3.5L available in the XLT is 375 HP and 470lb-ft of torque.

I can easily tow a 7,000 lb trailer at a steady +75 mph up a 7 mile 6% grade at 11,000 ft. Beats the livin crap out of any other 1/2 ton truck I’ve ever driven.

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
Just read an article that the "First Edition" Bronco model w/ a price tag of $60,800 and a limited production run of only 3500 vehicles, sold out in 12 hours and crashed Ford's website multiple times. :eek::eek::eek:

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
The HO 3.5L Ecoboost in the Raptor is rated at 450 HP and 510 lb-ft of torque. The 3.5L available in the XLT is 375 HP and 470lb-ft of torque.

I can easily tow a 7,000 lb trailer at a steady +75 mph up a 7 mile 6% grade at 11,000 ft. Beats the livin crap out of any other 1/2 ton truck I’ve ever driven.

Good! I was going off of other "word of mouth" that the specialized suspension limits the tow/haul of the Raptor... not the power or the gearing. Glad to hear the rumors are just that... rumors.

And my only experience with the 3.5L ecoboost was with a massive 2019 Ford Expedition rental... the detuned version of course, just like in the XLT. Drove it for a week and fell in love with the performance almost instantaneously. I'm an old school gearhead... diehard v8 fanboi... and I think the 3.5L Raptor exhaust note sounds like absolute sh*t... BUT I WANT ONE!!!

Dammit, I absolutely loved driving that Expedition for a week and didn't want to return it. GOBS of power for such a massive vehicle. It tooled down the highway at 90mph between OKC and College Station and I swear it averaged 25mpg. I was blown away. I bad mouthed Ford switching to the 3.5L ecoboost in the Raptor for years... until I drove that Expedition.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Well, up here at 10,000 feet where the ground is snow covered 6 months a year and I have to be able to maneuver through 2 feet of snow, tow 7,000 pounds, pull people out of ditches and have unparalleled off-road capability, I’d leave your XLT at home.

Well where the hell are you when I'm stuck behind some guy on 285 out of FairPlay who can't tow his camper 55mph & has a 2 mile long line of cars behind him????:p

More people up here need a rig like yours!

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO

Well where the hell are you when I'm stuck behind some guy on 285 out of FairPlay who can't tow his camper 55mph & has a 2 mile long line of cars behind him????:p

More people up here need a rig like yours!
Yeah, normally aspirated engines lose 30% of their power at 10k feet. Lots of slow movers up here.

Sep 6, 2012
Edmond
I ended up with t
FullSizeR(2).jpg
IMG_0731.jpg
I ended up with the x2m35i, I went in to buy a x3m. Hoping that the ladder that I occasionally have to haul to job site fit. Drove it , but we drove past the m35i and fell in love. I really wanted smaller, since I sold the boat and my daughter is taking my daily commuter, as she is about to turn 16. Truly is a fun car. I have put almost 1k mile on it Saturday and Sunday. Had to do some jobs in Tulsa yesterday (100 miles one way) , so I am close to break in period. Then I get to let her rip like I did with demo that was broke in. 300 more miles.

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
I ended up with t View attachment 84099 View attachment 84100 I ended up with the x2m35i, I went in to buy a x3m. Hoping that the ladder that I occasionally have to haul to job site fit. Drove it , but we drove past the m35i and fell in love. I really wanted smaller, since I sold the boat and my daughter is taking my daily commuter, as she is about to turn 16. Truly is a fun car. I have put almost 1k mile on it Saturday and Sunday. Had to do some jobs in Tulsa yesterday (100 miles one way) , so I am close to break in period. Then I get to let her rip like I did with demo that was broke in. 300 more miles.
Even at RS Fuels... and it looks like you're at the 93 oct pump.:glare: