What to expect on defense

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

OSU's defense will be...

• Total voters

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
What to expect on defense?

Expect to cringe and yell at the TV while waiting for our latest running back / receiver combo to dismantle the other team.

Oct 30, 2007
Would rather have missed tackles than a stupid injury at practice. Practices are not run like they were 10+ yrs ago. Gundys 2nd or 3rd yr he went out to meet with Pete Carroll and came back and changed practice scripts. Went a lot shorter practice and super uptempo. Then they brought in Dana then Todd and it got faster. You cannot possibly tackle 100+/practice and be fresh enough to play an entire season. Football creates injuries so you lower risks any way you can.
Tackling was not a problem against or state. Difficult to assess our talent level with the abysmal coaching. We actually line up in formations, where if the qb is allowed to read it they can check to a simple play (such as run right) that has a 100% chance of success because no human can move to fill the gap from their position. Instead of a good base d to operate from we have 50+ wacky formations that are easy to destroy. Almost every play we have one edge with no defender in a position to have any chance to set the edge on that side; this is not hard stuff it is defense for dummies level stuff. Big12 offenses will massacre these formations because they only have to read one player to call the right play. Then any misdirection against us is a min 15 yd gain likely due to the formations. When the only way to cover one side is to sprint everyone that direction, the O just has to misdirect and it is a big play.

I feel for the players.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

VENTRINO

You've got 5 seconds.. and 3 are up.
Sep 10, 2008
The Dojo
Hope you're right.

Easy to overreact to game 1, & it was brutal at times, but there were bright spots.

We've definitely got to get better at setting the edge on the DL, that repeatedly killed us.
Missing Bundage hurt a bit last night, but it’s an inexperienced group up front (yeah, we hear that a lot.. but it’s true).

The defense had a stretch where they looked pretty damn good.. maybe the offense shouldn’t score so fast :lol:

Rob B.

I'm......Batman.
A/V Subscriber
Aug 13, 2007
Rockin' the GL.
Missing Bundage hurt a bit last night, but it’s an inexperienced group up front (yeah, we hear that a lot.. but it’s true).

The defense had a stretch where they looked pretty damn good.. maybe the offense shouldn’t score so fast :lol:
Bundage, Harper, and Antwine were all out, arguably 3 of our most disruptive defenders. I'm going to torture myself and take a wait and see stance on the D......again.

Oct 30, 2007
One bright spot from from the game last night was how active our defensive line was with their hands. I can't remember the last game where we had that many tipped passes.

Last edited:

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
I know a lot of teams are going to try to run it on us all day long until we prove we can stop it. It plays to our youth and keeps our offense off the field.

Oct 30, 2007

Bundage, Harper, and Antwine were all out, arguably 3 of our most disruptive defenders. I'm going to torture myself and take a wait and see stance on the D......again.
I sure hope you are right, long wait until 9/14 for the next data point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OSUMIKE17

Property of The Oklahoman and NewsOk.com
A/V Subscriber
Apr 11, 2009
Tulsa
Absolutely this.

The assessment of the defense is incomplete at this point due to those injuries. Also, Knowles kept the playcalling very vanilla. We probably won’t know for sure until after Texas.

Aug 16, 2019
Edmond, Oklahoma
Ohio State gave up 31 points to them last year and had all kinds of problems stopping their running back who I think is an outstanding player. I am also going to take a wait and see attitude regarding this defense.