What will the republicans do?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010
Freedom
Free Markets
Constitutionally-Limited Gov't
Transparency
Accountability

Now, which of these is elitist?
And Joseph is blue collar? Step away from the MSNBC, man!

Yes, this is laughable.
Yawn. More elitist talk. Every time a democrat steps in office all i hear is elitist this and elitist that. we just had 4 years of an elitist , biden is more blue collar than the every potus we've had in the last few decades save for maybe slick willy. I am looking forward to the next 4 years, and im not even a democrat. just glad to have a pragmatic personality back in charge.
Freedom
Free Markets
Constitutionally-Limited Gov't
Transparency
Accountability

Now, which of these is elitist?
And Joseph is blue collar? Step away from the MSNBC, man!
I don’t watch the news, especially msnbc. and yes he is about as blue collar of a guy that we have had in a long time. He has during his political career been considered one of the poorest members of Congress. His presidential salary is the highest salary he’s ever had in his life, with the exception of a $540,000 salary as a professor or whatever at the University of Pennsylvania for a year. His net worth was under $1 million when he became vice president. The majority of his wealth was obtained after he left office with lucrative book deals and speaking fees. He went to Syracuse and Delaware. When he was growing up, his dad was a used car salesman.

There’s nothing elitist about any of that.

Now if you compare that to the previous president, who grew up rich, he was given up to $60 million of his fathers fortune. He also attended an Ivy League university. He’s been famous or infamous for like 50 years. And I think we’ve all seen his hideously gaudy and lavish lifestyle that he’s lived since anyone knew who he was.

Or how about Obama? Yeah, he was basically raised by his grandmother, and his daddy was never around. But education was prioritized in their household and he also went to an Ivy League school, and married another Ivy Leaguer.

Or even bush? He grew up rich with a powerful father, rubbed elbows with the kids of politicians, Went to A prestigious Academy for high school, and then earned a degree from two different Ivy League universities.

Even Clinton, who grew up pretty blue-collar and poor and like a regular guy, still ended up going to Oxford and Yale & married a Yale grad and is the most elite of all the trailer park personalities we’ll ever have as potus.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
If automation makes sense, they are going to do it regardless of what the minimum wage is.

Wal Mart has self checkout and maybe fast food places have self order screens for takeout. They did that long before people were talking about a minimum wage bump.
Do you think a higher minimum wage will force other places to follow those footsteps sooner or take longer to adopt that model?
At the point where making that move is no longer cost prohibitive. And the thing is with a higher minimum wage that can force their hand to make that move on those grounds.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Who was that company several years ago that gave their employees huge raises and were heralded as the best model company by the entire media? If they could do it everyone could and only reason they wouldn’t is because of greed.

A short time later they went bankrupt. I think they have something to do with credit card processing. Google is of course coming up empty.

Last edited:

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
Who was that company several years ago that gave their employees huge raises and were heralded as the best model company by the entire media? If they could do it everyone could and only reason they wouldn’t is because of greed.

A short time later they went bankrupt. I think they have something to do with credit card processing. Google is of course coming up empty.
Because Google isn't making up stories about the company going bankrupt. That was the right-wing theory when it was announced. I guess you confabulated that into a reality that isn't real because it is a world view.

Gravity Payments.

Here is an updated story on how he allowed the company to survive the COVID crisis with no layoffs.
https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/business/article244968805.html

Last edited:
Because Google isn't making up stories about the company going bankrupt. That was the right-wing theory when it was announced. I guess you confabulated that into a reality that isn't real because it is a world view.

Gravity Payments.

Here is an updated story on how he allowed the company to survive the COVID crisis with no layoffs.
https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/business/article244968805.html
Did the employees volunteer pay cuts before or after they received the 2-5 million in PPP loans?

Sep 12, 2008
I don’t watch the news, especially msnbc. and yes he is about as blue collar of a guy that we have had in a long time. He has during his political career been considered one of the poorest members of Congress. His presidential salary is the highest salary he’s ever had in his life, with the exception of a $540,000 salary as a professor or whatever at the University of Pennsylvania for a year. His net worth was under $1 million when he became vice president. The majority of his wealth was obtained after he left office with lucrative book deals and speaking fees. He went to Syracuse and Delaware. When he was growing up, his dad was a used car salesman.

There’s nothing elitist about any of that.

Now if you compare that to the previous president, who grew up rich, he was given up to $60 million of his fathers fortune. He also attended an Ivy League university. He’s been famous or infamous for like 50 years. And I think we’ve all seen his hideously gaudy and lavish lifestyle that he’s lived since anyone knew who he was.

Or how about Obama? Yeah, he was basically raised by his grandmother, and his daddy was never around. But education was prioritized in their household and he also went to an Ivy League school, and married another Ivy Leaguer.

Or even bush? He grew up rich with a powerful father, rubbed elbows with the kids of politicians, Went to A prestigious Academy for high school, and then earned a degree from two different Ivy League universities.

Even Clinton, who grew up pretty blue-collar and poor and like a regular guy, still ended up going to Oxford and Yale & married a Yale grad and is the most elite of all the trailer park personalities we’ll ever have as potus.
Just because he had the least privileged upbringing of the recent presidents doesn't mean he's blue collar in any way shape or form.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
1611236540675.png

Joe Biden with his family at an earlier age.... Who knew?

I pray for the new Administration and hope that they can help to bring a more inclusive and less divisive environment to DC. God knows we need it.

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
Did the employees volunteer pay cuts before or after they received the 2-5 million in PPP loans?
LOL. Shown to be completely in error and instead of “Oh wow, I didn’t know that” you reply with whining about the PPP that nearly everyone got while STILL laying off employees.
Nice job proving without a doubt that you aren’t here to learn or know anything. But instead just to be a partisan hack for your preconceived notions. Maybe a name change to Party of cognitive dissonance would at least be honest. Although, you’ve shown honesty doesn’t appear high on your importance meter.

LOL. Shown to be completely in error and instead of “Oh wow, I didn’t know that” you reply with whining about the PPP that nearly everyone got while STILL laying off employees.
Nice job proving without a doubt that you aren’t here to learn or know anything. But instead just to be a partisan hack for your preconceived notions. Maybe a name change to Party of cognitive dissonance would at least be honest. Although, you’ve shown honesty doesn’t appear high on your importance meter.
The guy was praised for giving a high minimum salary and we were all told if he can do it everybody can. The only reason they won’t is because of greed.

Business owners have to plan for lean times. Obviously this guy didn’t and times got lean. How did he handle it? On the backs of his employees and accepting corporate welfare. Higher wages are supposed to result in people not needing welfare. $70,000 sounds good but it’s only about $10k more than the medium household income in this country. For a single earner household that is not good.
Yes my memory was bad. I remembered reading they were having some financial difficulties. Accepting multimillions in corporate welfare while asking employees to take a pay cut is not a good look. The PPP payments were designed to prevent that from happening.

I realize I’m arguing with a doctor who’s constantly complaining about not making enough. Have you ever thought about giving up some of your salary to give a raise to the housekeepers and kitchen staff? If this guys business model is so great it should work great in the hospital environment.

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
The guy was praised for giving a high minimum salary and we were all told if he can do it everybody can. The only reason they won’t is because of greed.

Business owners have to plan for lean times. Obviously this guy didn’t and times got lean. How did he handle it? On the backs of his employees and accepting corporate welfare. Higher wages are supposed to result in people not needing welfare. $70,000 sounds good but it’s only about $10k more than the medium household income in this country. For a single earner household that is not good.
Yes my memory was bad. I remembered reading they were having some financial difficulties. Accepting multimillions in corporate welfare while asking employees to take a pay cut is not a good look. The PPP payments were designed to prevent that from happening.

I realize I’m arguing with a doctor who’s constantly complaining about not making enough. Have you ever thought about giving up some of your salary to give a raise to the housekeepers and kitchen staff? If this guys business model is so great it should work great in the hospital environment.
Wow, adding more lies to the fire you created. You are as pathologic as our former president.

Feb 7, 2007
Denver

https://www.inc.com/magazine/201511/paul-keegan/does-more-pay-mean-more-growth.html

Feb 7, 2007
Denver
Informative article. Was that a 2015 article? I am so close to my own brother --- I can't imagine a brother suing another brother.
I don't know I just saw that company mentioned and tried to dig up the name cause I vaguely remembered it too. Turns out it had already been identified.

Sep 12, 2008
Sep 12, 2008
"Keeping in mind that Mitch McConnell & the GOP don’t mind being in the minority; it provides the comforts of The Swamp club membership without the discomforts of leadership."

drbwh

Federal Marshal
Sep 20, 2006
As a small business owner (at least for now)
Who has spent his life’s earnings the last 10 months keeping his almost 100 employees working, $15/hr is too much for Oklahoma. I have zero employees making less that 12/hr, but most small businesses can’t pay that. No worries though, there won’t be many left to wipe out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk